ION Tires - crap?

Anyone else find their stock ION.3 tires to be virtually useless in all but perfectly dry conditions?

The slightest bit of wet, and I'm slip sliding awayyy-heyyyy. Snow? Forget it. Already got stuck once in my driveway while my wife's '01 all-season equipped Honda just pounced right on through. Time for some winters, I guess, then some new all-seasons in the spring.

bleah. I also had to replce the wipers early on because they sucked too - don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Saturn, but I would have preferred they charged me the few hundred it would have cost them for quality parts, or tell me up front where they've cut corners, instead of letting me figure it out on my own at the end of my driveway, swearing at my shovel at 6:00am...

:)

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine

What is the tire pressure? As this can make a BIG difference.

Reply to
<mcben

I don't have an ION, but wider tires are worse in snow, in my opinion, all-season tires aren't for snow-belt areas. My first tires in my 95SL2 we terrible in rain and snow, when I got the car at 3-years old; got rid of them after the first snow storm. A guy I know just got an 04 Toyota Corolla, and he said the tires were bad on ice and snow. If you are keeping your car, it's worth it to have a second set of winter tires, as sooner or later, you will need to get new tires, and your all-seasons will last longer.

Reply to
Skid

I've found the Firehawk tires on my QC to be fairly good on snow/ice, actually. Though it probably depends on the particular conditions - deep snow may be more of a problem, but we don't get much of that here..

As far as the wipers, apparently the angle of the wiper arms can tend to cause the wiper blades to chatter - there's a TSB about it, they're supposed to have some new wiper arms that work better.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

[snip]

My buddy always had monster tires on his 4x4 until winter when he plowed snow to make ends meet. Then he was back to 78 - 83 series narrow tires.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

My ION3 tires are fine on the snow, and ice, and rain.

Replaced the chattering wipers with Canadian Tire winter teflons. Purrfectly quiet now.

Only problem is, notice that the stock driver's side wiper had a foil. The replacements don't, and I've noticed the driver's side blade lifting at highway speeds.

Chris in Ottawa

Reply to
Chris Seal