Knocking/Thumping

Hi all,

My 95 SL2 has a knocking and thumping sound from the right side, whenever the car moves. Can't hear it on the highways, but even rolling in neutral on a smooth road makes the same noise. I don't see what it could be, checked the things in the trunk, had a broken bracket fixed on the exhaust, and it was checked to be okay, perhaps loose quarter panel? Coil springs moving around?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Skid

Could be the tie rod ends are worn out. Just had the right side replaced a few months ago on my wife's 97. It made a knocking sound when going down the driveway almost like a motor mount was loose. It was not noticeable on the roads at most speeds. MR

Reply to
MR

Rythmic? Varies with wheel speed? Check the brakes, and the brake hose to the noisy wheel. Had a wagon that did it forever until we replaced a somewhat clogged hose..

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Is it from the front or the back or you aren't sure? You seem to be looking at things on the back, but it sounds like a CV joint. If it doesn't happen at highway speeds, it may be because drivers don't normally make anything but the gentlest turns at high speeds... and CV joint noises are normally first noticed when the steering wheel is turned.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Thanks for the replies, I will take it in to Saturn next week, as it sounds it could be anything. The noise is random, sometimes don't hear it at all, mainly from the rear. I will repost with the results.

Reply to
Skid

Before you go too far, carefully check the tires for a nail or possibly a piece of tread that has come loose.

Reply to
Dan Hicks