Last Saturn rolls off at Spring Hill TN

SPRING HILL, Tenn. (AP) - General Motors launched the Saturn brand at its plant in tiny Spring Hill, Tennessee, 17 years ago.

The Saturn line was designed to compete with low-cost Japanese imports.

Saturn prided itself on its no-haggle approach to selling cars and developed a strong following.

But this week, the brand's birthplace rolled out its last Saturn's and started getting ready to build other G-M models.

2,400 of the plant's 4,700 workers are being laid off for about 18 months while the plant is remodeled.

GM has promised to bring the workers back once the facility is set to resume production.

Long Live Polymer!

Reply to
marx404

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:29:20 -0400, a rock fell from the sky, hitting marx404 on the head, and inspiring the following:

Interesting.

I thought it very cool when - about a week after I bought my wife's Vue - I got a call from the line forewoman (?) who asked me how I liked the car, if there were any issues, that she made it on a Tuesday....

...I didn't get such a call when I bought my Avalanche last year. Of course, since it was built in Sinaloa, Mexico, the foreperson may not speak English.

Hola? Como esta su Avalanche nuevo?

:P

Reply to
PerfectReign

I wonder, maybe she called because after they sent the car out they discovered they forgot to install an assembly- sorta like, are you still alive ? no crashes ? wow, we were a bit worried....

Reply to
raamman

I bought my first new car in 94 a 1994 SW2 rolled it off the showroom floor and onto Tennessee for the 5 year Saturn reunion. They gave us a packet with a little foam red ball for your antenna and the closer we got to Tenn. the more red balls on the antennas of the Saturn's going to the reunion. They gave us a plant tour and there was a big party. What a great experience watching all the Saturn's being made. I am on my 2nd motor & transmission because I ignored the check engine light and it probably only needed a new $50. Knock sensor. I bought the car because I wanted to keep auto profits in the USA and I wanted a plastic car that would not rust or dent. She is still my favorite car and hopefully will get another 200K.

Any word on whether or not they will continue making the Saturn in Tennessee or will GM share the plant or are they stopping production all together? I hear they will stop making them plastic is that true for all Saturns?

Yes "long live the polymer" LG

Reply to
Linda

But this week, the brand's birthplace rolled out its last Saturn's and started getting ready to build other G-M models.

***************************************************** E-mail address altered to foil spam. Reply to news groups for all to see please.

kraut

My preference was a thrifty, reliable American car. Got a '95 SL2, and it's done pretty well. Hope to keep it running a while longer. I'm not sure what I'd buy today; the Hondas and Toyotas cover the turf more thoroughly, and with domestic outsourcing and foreign insourcing, it's hard to pinpoint which purchase is more to the benefit of the local economy. Of course GM has got to look at the bottom line when allocating its resources; on the other hand, they did sell the imagery of Saturn and Spring Hill being a community as well as just a big piece of machinery. Maybe it's silly of me to take it seriously. I mean, I'm in California, and I've never been to Tennessee. Well, life is not an entirely rational process. So I'll lament the passing of the Saturn identity, even knowing the sentiment is ridiculous.

Reply to
Talkin Horse