Replacing Rear Heated O2 Sensor

I did more research and found that I replaced the wrong sensor (someone told me the code meant the front one, doh!) so I had the rear heated o2 sensor ordered and will pick it up today. I've read that its a pain to get off, but that's fine. I'm not exactly sure where it is since I haven't been able to get under there and look, but I do know its around the cat converter (after it, no?)

I've also read that you need a special tool or socket or something to get it off. Is this even true? The pictures I've seen of the sensor don't seem like you'd need more than a wrench. I'm hoping I'm not wrong :P

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Yes they make special sockets just for O2 Sensors. But not all require the socket if it is in a place you can get to it with a wrench or other tool. I would soak down the threads at least a few hours, if not overnight to help loosen the sensor.

James

Reply to
James1549

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

I recently replaced the downstream HO2 sensor on my '01 lw300 with 98K on it. Expecting quite a struggle, the sensor came out with only an adjustable wrench (albeit a 12" one) and quite easily at that. I've had to use a torch on other vehicles to soften the rust in order to remove the sensors. This was a pleasant surprise. I have the special wrench but given the angles and access space, a good 'ol adjustable spanner worked just fine. After removing the sensor, you are supposed to chase out the threads on the pipe with a tap. I've never had the right threaded tap so just made do.

Reply to
Oppie

Well, not the case in mine. There is a shield blocking any room that an adjustable wrench would have. I've been there, tried that. I must also note that the reason I suspected the sensor went was because the connection is right under where my car blew all of its tranny fluid. Oddly enough, today the Service Engine Soon light went off, and my car stopped choking on gas. I'm not sure what to do at this point, if I should go ahead and toss the sensor in since I have it and will have the car jacked up, or return it and get my $75 back. Blah!

Regardless, I was planning to post a how-to on Saturn.com, with pictures, of the whole procedure, and any others that I do. I also would love to put together a wiki or something with color photos on how to do many repair procedures - with the help from you guys. I know what I've learned so far has benefited me, and this is on my first car, and I am grateful that it was a Saturn, I now love my car even though it seems like its falling apart! (and may be, it looks to me like it was in some kind of drivers side accident before I got it, used.)

Much thanks, Brian Thorp

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)