Terrible Squeal

Hello Everyone!

I have a 95 SL2 and the belt has started squealing something fierce - intermittently of course. The squeal is only in the morning when it's cold (I'm in Houston, so cold is relative)! I have to turn the car off to get rid of the squeal. Sometimes I can start the squeal by turning on the AC. If the squeal does start this way, turning off the AC will not stop the squeal, I have to turn off the car to get rid of the squeal. And, of course, the problem is slowly getting worse.

Last week, the belt squealed unbelievably - much worse than usual - and it turned out that after less than 1/2 mile of driving, the area around alternator was very very hot. I replaced the belt and that helped the problem immensely - the squeal (when it squeals, after all, this is an intermittent problem) is not as bad as it had been.

The car has 158K miles. The alternator was replaced with a NAPA part

56K miles and 3 years ago. The water pump was replaced with an Advanced Auto type part 2 years ago. The air conditioning and the automatic tensioner are original. And of course, the belt is brand new (NAPA).

First question. Is it ok to put dressing on the belt since the car has an automatic tensioner?

Second question. Is this a common problem with Saturns?

Last question. I've had multiple suggestions as to what it could be. Alternator pulley, tensioner, air compressor, etc. Is there any way to narrow down the choices?

Thanks, Sandra

Reply to
Sandra Ries

Have your belt and tensioner checked.

later,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

At 156K miles, most likely the tensioner and idler will need replacement.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'd replace the belt tensioner first. While the belt is off you should check for any binding or loose bearings on any pulleys driven by the belt. Check the belt to see if it is cracked or dried out. If it is, could be either from a loose tensioner or any driven load which is drawing too much torque. Barring any problems with that, I should mention that I had replaced an alternator with one that had a slightly higher output (this was on a Chrysler). After burning up two Nipondenso alternators, I put in a Bosch. The bosh worked nicely but required a bit more torque to run it. Bottom line is that it ate belts on a regular basis. I got to the point where I changed the belt every couple of oil changes. For what it's worth...

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

In my experience you may as well replace the idler at the same time. If one has gone, the other is gonna go soon. They both make identical squealing noises when cold if the bearings start to go.

My wife's 92 SL1 had them both go at 12 years, within a few weeks of each other.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

identical

I agree if you have the belt off and are doing one, you may as well do the other. Having to do the work again isn't worth the cost of the idler.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Wow, thats a grocery list. The squeal is very typical (& intermittemtly is how it begins to go) of your serpentine belt, which is a very common thing. Like the others say, good idea while you have the s-belt off to have all pulleys and tensioners checked just to be on the safe side.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to take it in and have it done this week. I'm going to wimp out and not do it myself. :)

I do have another question, though. Is it ok to use dressing on a belt with a tensioner?

Thanks aga> Wow, thats a grocery list. The squeal is very typical (& intermittemtly is

Reply to
Sandra Ries

Yes.

Reply to
blah blah

You could use it, but I've never had much success with it in automotive applications, plus it can be messy.

YMMV, Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I've tried it before and found that the 'fix' is only short-lived. There is no substitute for replacing a cracked and dried-out belt. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie