Volvo 240 Squeal with acceleration and continues, Help!

Over the last two days my volvo 240 has been squealing quite loud on acceleration sometimes while standing still and while driving. Can someone help me diagnose this problem.

thank you aaron

Reply to
bjartar vonir

I would start with inspecting the engine belts. Slipping belts can cause Squeal. You may need to re-tension or replace the belts at fault. Look for shiny areas were the belt hits the pulley or cracks in the belt.

Best regards, Jack

acceleration sometimes while standing still and while driving. Can someone help me diagnose this problem.

Reply to
Jack Swedberg

Belt Squeal

1 Loose Belts 2 Universal replacement for the AC compressor belt. Use the "Metric" belt. Discount Autoparts does not have a belt with the correct cross section 3 Crankshaft pulley is slipping. It's a two part assembly with a rubber bushing that fails.

Al Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

Not just the belts but the hard rubber bushings Volvo uses to hold the alternator bracket to the engine, the power steering pump and the A/C compressor. When these start to go and get soft, there is nothing you can do with the belts. They cause the pulleys to be out of alignment and no matter how much you tighten the belts they will make noise. Best to get the bushings off the net, about $3.00 USD a piece. I won't even tell you what the dealer charges - LOL

Reply to
Buc4evr

True.

My 240's alternator bushings got so bad that the belts twisted and flipped over. One broke from the stress. Squeal was louder than loud. All fixed by pulling the alternator, replacing the bushings, and of course new belts to replace the stress-worn ones. A lot of work to replace a couple $3 bushings, but worth it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ To send email, remove all < > and [ ] and the junk ~ between: [brucepick1] < a~t > [comcast.net]

Buc4evr wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pick