Transmission "locks up"

When driving my 1996 Saturn SL2 the automatic transmission will lock up and stays in one gear. Revving the engine doesn't help. I have to stop and restart the vehicle. Just had a new rebuilt engine installed. Any sggestions? Thanks

Reply to
milfred

Had a similar problem with a 95. Group consensus was that it was the transmission "valve body." I got rid of the car.

Reply to
riz

My 95 did the same thing, It would stick in a gear and it wouldn't change if I sped up or slowed down. Only if I stoped and started again, it would change. It was the valve body.

Reply to
Shawn