ZAP! ION is an electrifying experience

My '07 ION (and others I have tried) are an electrifying experience. If one doesn't ground themselves out (by touching something metal and the ground at the same time) before getting out of the car, ZAP! you get electrostatic shock. I'm worried about blowing up a gas station or shorting out something electric, say like my MP3 player or someone's pacemaker, lol or worse blowing up a gas station pump.

Any ideas of how to discharge this static build up or is this just part of ION's charm?

Reply to
marx404

Nothing to do with the car, everything to do with the enviroment.

Dont touch the car, ground the door key to your finger as you insert it into the keyhole.

Reply to
BläBlä

to requote myself "before getting out of the car" - ergo, putting the key into the keyhole when I'm still in the car would be a lovely feat but none too useful. Its only on exit....

It's when I have exited the car, I have basically isolated the static build up to the seats. I exit the car and whatever I touch the first time out, ZAP! Just like said in the first paragraph in the OP.

I get out of the car and if I don't ground on the frame 1st, anything I touch gets ZAPped! Much fun if my little brother is nearby, not much fun when it's me getting zapped.

Reply to
marx404

Maybe it's you electrifying personality!

Actually, this happens to me and it doesn't matter if it's my '06 Vue or my F150 Lariat (my baby), but really for the most part it doesn't happen to me really except for the winter, when the air is drier around the NE. Anyway, get into the habit after you open the door of the car to grab/touch the roof/upper door frame as you exit....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Er dammit marx your post always has those hidden lines. It must be that car dealer mentality bleeding through. Ok so take one of your keys and touch what ever part it is zapping you. Same principle applies.

Reply to
BläBlä

Periodically spray your seats with ClineFree or faric softener mixed with water. Hold on to the metal door frame as you slide out of the seat.

Reply to
D&SW

Make a habit of wetting your pants before you exit the car. The electrolytes in the urine will improve regional conductivity, thus distributing the charge so there's no single painful hot spot.

Alternatively, prior to getting into the driver's seat, remove your tinfoil hat and use it for a seat cushion. Remember to ground it before putting it back on your head.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Talkin Horse

Don't wear cotton?

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

I get it all the time regardless of what I'm wearing and when the humidity is less than 70% on my lw300. It's gotten to the point where I grab metal and hold on before sliding out of the driver's seat. Either that or get out and slap the door frame to drain the static electicity.

When I get gas, I make it a practice to hold the fuel nozzle (by the handle) in one hand and then touch metal on the car. So far, there is never a spark but I don't take chances of making the electrical connection by placing the nozzle directly in the fuel fill where vapors exist. Remember that it's getting harder and harder to find a metal ground point on cars now that so much of the body is plastic.

Tired rubbing a dryer sheet on the seats to reduce the static electicity and it did help somewhat.

Reply to
Oppie