Is our economy really going to hell?(OT)

in message news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com...

No You can thank Bush I and Clinton for the two biggest tax raises in history for balancing the budget. You can also thank the 4 tax raises Reagan passed after he saw what a disaster his Tax cut was for the deficit.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

He shoots, he scores. Great fact I was unaware of.

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

3&session=1&vote395>

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
Daytona HT

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) 63 R1 GT Hawk 63 Avanti R1 63 Avanti R2 63 Daytona convert 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 60 Lark Convert 57 Silver Hawk 51 Commander 50 Champion
Reply to
John Poulos

3&session=1&vote395>>

Reply to
Robert Black

One missing factor here: a little event called the collapse of Soviet Untion was brought about by The Teflon Don (Ron Reagan). The resultant "Peace Dividend" slashed military spending under the Klinton regime.....

Go ahead and ask me why I coudn't get a commission in the USAF.

There are no "easy answers" to complicated situations. I didn't drive my Studebaker yesterday, but I did on Wednesday.

by "Alex Magdaleno" Sep 28, 2006 at 09:56 PM

in message news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com...

No You can thank Bush I and Clinton for the two biggest tax raises in history

for balancing the budget. You can also thank the 4 tax raises Reagan passed after he saw what a disaster his Tax cut was for the deficit.

Reply to
markshere2

You're right, of course, there are no easy answers. whether or not you liked either Reagan or Clinton I think you have to agree that the collapse of the Soviet Union and subsequent de-escalation of the Cold War was a good thing for the US. Likewise, even though it affected you personally, the reduced military spending and balanced budget also gave benefit to the US. I don't forsee any benefits that I'm going to see within the next 20 years (or even longer term for that matter) as a result of W's policies... all I see is debt.

I think Clinton and Reagan were both men who, whether you agreed with them or not, had the best interests of the US at heart, they just had very different philosophies. Thus it was possible to disagree with them without necessarily disapproving. I don't know what the hell W is thinking.

nate

markshere2 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Speaking of "smooth" rides, what ever happened to the HD mid fifties rear springs that SASCO is supposedly reproducing?

I just filed a belated 2005 FIT and am getting an unexpected $2K refund!

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm still waiting to. The previous supplier won't do them in that small a volume, and the others want crazy money. Maybe SI will source them from China at some point.

Grumpy AuC> Speaking of "smooth" rides, what ever happened to the HD mid fifties

Reply to
John Poulos

What fact? One swing vote on the Democrat side and Alex wouldn't have posted this?

49% of the Democrat vote was for it, 51% was against it... even back then they waffled on the subject.

Lee

3&session=1&vote395>>

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

3&session=1&vote395>>>

Reply to
John Poulos

Not to change the subject but the OT topic was, is our economy really going to hell? The answers to THAT question is obviously NO, for anyone willing to do a search on the subject. If you do you will find the facts are that the current state of the economy is the highest it has ever been in our history, based on GNP. The income to the treasury is the highest in our history, even though everybody we given a tax rate cut to spur the economy after 9/11. Unemployment is at the lowest in history. The number of successful small business continues to grow. More people own their home than at any time in history, and the US is still by far the largest manufacturing.county in the world.

The biggest problem facing our economy is there is an ever growing shortage of qualified people to do the work that currently is available in the US, and it is aggravated by the growing number of boomers that are retiring. Labor Department figures show there are only three qualified people available to for every five job openings in the US! Employers are happy it they can just find somebody who will come to work on time, stay the shift and in trainable.

Although we currently are operating with a budget defect the county has historically operated with a deficit during wartime. When FDR was asked about the horrendous deficits during WWII his reply was; 'One does not worry about the water bill when the house in on fire.' We have plenty of time after our county is safe again to make up any deficit.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Robert Black

If this is a war, why don't we have a draft. We've lowered the published standards to the level of people you wouldn't let into your house, and the unofficial (end of month) standards (which have existed since the end of the depression) even lower. I'm 67 years old, blind in one eye with glaucoma in both and a trouble-maker to boot! If I were ex-army instead of navy, I bet they could find a spot for me if I offered my sevices.

Karl

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Give the war a few more years and they'll take you. The Army Reserve age limit was raised from 35 to 40 in March 2005, then to 42 in Jan 2006.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> If this is a war, why don't we have a draft.

Reply to
John Poulos

John, you hit the problem right there. I have always voted for centerists as they are the ones who keep some sanity in DC.

Be it Rush or Pacifica, it's the radicals who have screwed up this nation, but even then it was for the good-old American profit ideal, not the good of the nation, that they spewed their illocical faux hatred.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Kevin may have come off a little fierce about being tied to the fortunes of one company, but it's true. Union factory hands may have been history's best-kept peasantry, but today's techies are the world's highest-paid migrant workers. If you want to survive in business, don't get too attached to your house or land.

I can't believe a rail-car builder could be short of work with a continent-wide shortage of coal and grain carriers. Bombardier is a separate issue, with their long bet on passenger service (anyone notice they've changed the name of their snowmobiles, to prepare that division for sale?). But anyone who can build freight cars should be working overtime. This sounds like a management issue: how much do they lose on each unit they sell? It's pretty cheap to heat 27 acres in Tennessee, and in China it's not even an issue. Plus, you get a thousand year tax write-off for building, and lose the union and the benefits package.

I had a couple drinks with a Nebraska rancher in August who said Wyoming ought to be a mile-deep hole in the ground by now, based on the number of coal trains passing his pasturage. Along Lincoln Highway, it's 5 minutes between trains--in the 70's I used to see high-speed container freights from the coast; now it's nothing but Wyoming coal (or, as Ohio power-plant engineers call it, "dirt.")

It is not any president's job to regulate the economy. A vibrant trade will transcend the worst meddling; a sick market cannot be propped up by any intervention. Other than our thorough-going, Left and Right addiction to praying to Government to cure all ills and cushion all shocks, the biggest obstacle to even-handed policy is not so much the 4-year presidential term, but the constant two-year battle for Congress. And I don't see where popular election of Senators has benefited the republic.

Reply to
comatus

The draft was ended a long time ago. Today military is all volunteer.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yep, I notice now when when one guy does not toe the party line on every vote, he's threatened by his party. Any idea, even a good one, is "bad" if the other side suggested it. Congress has turned into a 2 vote system, them and us and it sucks.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> Actually, I saw the vote as the good old days when both sides voted

Reply to
John Poulos

"Volunteer" for military nowadays can mean, "I can be bribed." ( Hmmm. Likely candidates for Congress when they get out? )

Karl

Reply to
midlant

also currently means you CANNOT get out when your term is up..LOL

--Shiva--

Reply to
me