07 or 06 outback

I'm finally looking to replace my 97 outback sport with either a 07 or an 06 full sized outback 2.5i. I've heard subaru has gone down hill a little since 05. Has the drop been consistent so I'd be better off with an 06?

I do like the extra hp and ipod connector on the 07 but I don't have to have either. I'd be much happier with the less problematic vehicle overall.

thanks!

Reply to
uftheother

get a TOYOTA hehe

Reply to
daszkiew2000

I think (hope) the headgasket issues of the late 90s are over with. Personally, I prefer the interior ergonomics of my wife's 03 Outback to the '06 loaner I drove - but if YOU like the car, I thinks there's little evidence it wouldn't be about as good a purchase as any other vehicle.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

sit in either one of them and go by the gut feeling. whatever you do don't buy a toyolet: subayota is as good or better and offers a working awd. why outback and not the legacy?

Reply to
isquat

I had an outback sport, a 2.5RS, and now own a 2004 WRX wagon, all 5 sp manual. When we looked for a family car for long trips and that my wife would use as a daily driver we looked at several other cars but settled on a subaru wagon. Drove the base outback 2.5, legacy GT, outback 2.5i and outback 3.0. Base model was undepowered, I loved the GT but too stiffly sprung for her taste. If it was me and a stick, I'd take the 2.5i. She's tired of shifting and recently had hand surgery as well, so opted for the 3.0 LL Bean with 5 sp auto. No complaints after about 18k miles. She misses her Infiniti G35, but drove a pathfinder and cherokee before that so likes a higher view from the drivers seat. No big drop in luxury from the G35, and don't mind trading some acceleration for foul-weather AWD traction. I had minor problems with my outback sport and 2.5RS, and a defective (exploding) clutch at 9k in the WRX but otherwise have no issues with quality.

Reply to
suburboturbo

are you saying that awd on G35x does not work you you had a rwd g35 only?

Reply to
Body Roll

On Jun 1, 12:19 am, Body Roll wrote:

we got the G35 within days of its release on the east coast, in fact before there was any advertising (but had been following the talk about the US finally getting a version of the Skyline GTR - not quite, but it's coming), so there wasn't much of a buzz yet beyond the automotive press and was able to get a great deal, about 4,000 below sticker with no BS options. Within weeks I heard stories of list+ price gouging. Got the light metallic green, which is pretty uncommon, and got a lot of attention from people wanting to ask about the car. My complaints: ate a set of brakes every 9,000 miles (warranty covered two replacements), low ground clearance scraped our driveway exit (not the car's fault really) but the never felt comfortable about the handling. I was used to my 2.5RS, Sentra SER, BMW 2002 and used to autocross a Corvair. The G35 felt more like the my old 73 Z28 and 71 Grand Prix: torquey but heavy, not very nimble. The long wheelbase just made the car feel much bigger than I like. Nonetheless, it was a great car for long trips and will never forget a few vacations where I was able to open it up in the middle of nowhere. The G35x just didn't seem to counter the negatives. The Outback 3.0 gave us the ground clearance we needed, and up here (northern suburns of NYC) makes a big difference when the snow is more than an inch deep. The short wheelbase just makes it feel more agile, thouh that's a subjective opinion. Doesn't have the low end grunt of the g35's 3.5, but once you're in the midrange it pulls nicely and is deceptively fast with solid handling when I've had reason to haul ass to respond to an emergency situation.

Reply to
suburboturbo

my friend who does tons of research before acquiring anything migrated from Honda to Subaru (2006 Outback non-turbo) recently

Reply to
alf

according to the reports on the latest G35 incarnation the dynamics is right there with the last generation bmw 3xx. not sure if the wheelbase got shortened but i somehow doubt it. they seem to grow longer and longer until the vehicle is classified as a truck and a bed is added ala el camino :-)

i find it ironic that 08 impreza has a wheelbase 2" longer than the first gen legacy. sigh.

Reply to
isquat

Reply to
Tcassette