Outback XT or H6 ?

Hey,

I've been a long-time Nissan Maxima owner, but really need to replace my '91 that has 181,000+ miles on it.

I'm probably going to buy an '05 or '06 Outback in the very near future. I like the new styling, and now that I live in snow country, I need something with ground clearance and AWD. And I want it to last for 8-10+ years.

Which engine would you get, the XT or the H6, and why? I'm certain I'll get the automatic tranny on either one, but I will be driving the manual just to check it out.

I would have purchased a Forester XT, but there's virtually no legroom behind the driver's seat. The Outback isn't exactly spacious, but it's far better than the Forester. The other vehicles I'm considering are an '06 RAV4 V6 and an '06 Suzuki Grand Vitara, but my first choice would be the Sube. I'm also going to drive a Legacy GT.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G

I can only speak about the Subies on your list. We tested the ones you mentioned at least twice before settling on the H6 for my wife's new car. There's a mix of reasons, but the smooth power of the H6 (no lag) and the improved local resale over any used turbo vehicle were two strong points. The Legacy GT may lack the clearance you mentioned. Drive them all before deciding. Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
seasick

LGC has 5.9" of ground clearance if tables here:

are to be trusted. About 10mm more than your Maxima has. Looks like LGT wagon does not have a stick as an option anymore. But you want an automatic anyway so that is not a problem for you.

Kinda funny to see that even STI sits 5mm higher than your Maxima :)

Good luck and best wishes to get into the car that is right for you.

Reply to
Body Roll

The RAV4 will make you feel as if youve been neutered.. Avoid any vehicles that want premium fuel. You dont need to use it but if you do it will cost ya.

Reply to
bigjim