1992 cooling fan

On my subaru the cooling fan does not come on. When I first got the car it seemed the fan was always on. Then sporadically would come on. Should I buy a cooling fan or a switch... need clarification that part name. Also all purpose fan or used original. Some hints on where to buy. Thanks.

Reply to
apn68015

I dunno if the circuit is independent of the ECU or not. Either way, re-securing any ground wires in the area may help. On a car this old, there could be some corrosion in any electrical connector. Also, is it possible you have a thermostat that is stuck open? maybe the coolant temp never goes up enough.

One source for OEM parts might be

. No connection, just a satisfied customer. I suspect a generic part would be OK if you don't mind a little rewiring. They probably won't have a soob connector.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You don't say which series Subie you have so I'm guessing here. The radiator cooling fan is controlled by the ECU from a separate temperature sensor, NOT the temperature gauge you see in the dash. The ECU temp sensor has two wire connection unlike the gauge sensor which only has one wire. On my 93 Legacy Turb both sensors at at the rear of the engine block under the air intake pipes.

Of course Carl could be correct and it's merely dirty connections - my rad fan connector is immediately behind the rad at the lower L/H side looking from driver's position.

Reply to
fopetesl