wiring of 86 Chevy Celebrity radiator fan relay?

2.8 liter V6. Radiator fan won't run, replaced relay and sensor/ switch. I understand it's supposed to run when AC on or temp over some value. I can jumper the 2 big wires in the relay plug (thereby manually doing the job of the relay) and the fan runs fine. How exactly is the fan relay configured? There are 2 smaller wires that somehow operate the coil of the relay to pull it in. We smoked the relay trying to pull the coil in with +12 volts before we knew how it's configured. Replaced it and don't want to repeat that. Is there something else involved, like a computer? If so, we'll probably just jumper the fan itself (2 big wires mentioned above, red and red/ black) with a big toggle switch on the dash, or jumper the relay on with a smaller switch on the dash, if we can figure out how the relay is supposed to work. Is it +12V being supplied from somewhere, or is it a ground being supplied from somewhere? Color coding of the wires?

Thanks.

Reply to
hillpc

Check the fuse.

Should be 2 hots at the relay. 1 hot all the time. 1 hot/key on.

The relay is "grounded" via the coolant fan switch. (intake manifold near distributor). Take the wire off the switch and ground it. The fan should come on. If it does, your switch is bad. If it doesn't, you have a bad relay or an open in the "trigger"side of the wiring. The ECM grounds the relay when the AC is turned on, via the same wire that goes to the cooling fan switch.

Wires at relay: BLK/RED=relay to fan. RED=fusible link. BRN/WHT=hot in run. DK GRN/WHT=coolant fan switch.

Reply to
thenitedude

Sounds straightforward enough. We'll look into it and report back.

Thanks.

Reply to
hillpc

Thank you. Brand new sensor was not responding to temperature. Were able to switchthe fan off and on at will (after new relay) by grounding the sensor wire.

Thanks again.

Reply to
hillpc

Glad that helped.