2.5L Head Gasket problem?

A local mechanic said that there is a known problem with the head gaskets on the 2.5 Liter engines in a Subaru (in fact, he just had someone in to repair the head gasket on their '05 Impreza).

Have any of you heard of this (and whether or not Subaru is doing anything about it before it goes)?

thanks!

Reply to
Dave Botsch

fairly well known EXCEPT the '05 you mention is likely a fluke. Best numbers I saw indicated around 2-3% of mid 90's to '02 or so exhibit internal(bad - mostly mid- later 90s) or moderate external 'weeping' of coolant. Someone here can post exact years affected. If repairs were done with 'new' style gaskets, indications are the engine will be reliable.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Have you googled this group's archives? There's been a great deal of discussion about this.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Phase 1 2.5L 1998-1999 had internal HG problems which is very bad although a small percentage had a problem. Phase 2 2.5L engines

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Do a google search on subaru head gasket failure.

Its a dirty little secret...one german study claimed 16% failure in

97-99 years
Reply to
bj

Wow! - perhaps the EDM soobs have different emissions or other gear that stresses them a lot more?

I know the Phase 2 engines are more likely to weep in colder climates.

Hard to imagine if 1 outta eight owners had internal HG failure in this country for mulitiple years, there wouldn't have been a class action suit already.

weird

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

here's an interesting read...get the air out...i don't change my antifreeze...i take some out from the overflow and add a bit at a time...

bj

I was at the dealership today, and was talking to the service writer about servicing my Baja's cooling system among other things. I was told that they basically do a low pressure swap, which leaves some old coolant mix behind, because the higher pressure flushes can contribute to head gasket failure. I had never heard that before, and I dunno...I guess it seems possible.

During the discussion I was advised to stay away from the quickie lube places. To which I was, of course, like DER! My dealer's rates are competitive, if not better. But, you know, if service is done at the dealer they can't give you any BS about who is performing the service when an issue arises.

Anywho, I thought that was interesting.

By the way, you should've seen the looks I was getting from the Super Duty crowd when I left Home Depot packing 30 rolls of 2'x5' sod. They're just jealous.