2005 Outback headlights

There seem to be a fair number of complaints about the illumination quality of the headlights on 2005 Outbacks (search on

Complaints include a sharp cutoff between lighted and dark areas, a lack of range, and a lack of adjustability. Can any of you owners confirm these deficiencies?

Reply to
Tcassette

Neither my wife or I has ever noticed this (headlight problem), so doesn't bother us.

We get some minor surging going downhill with the cruise control on. I understand it's more of a problem with the manual transmission, which is what we have. I find it mildly annoying and is probably my worst complaint about the car. I don't consider it a serious issue, although wonder how they could have screwed that up.

Reply to
Dino

The headlights on the '04 (previous model) are nothing to write home about, either. We need to keep the fog lights on most of the time to provide enough illumination. I adjusted the fog lights up just enough so they just barely reach to the end of the low beams. They still work well in the fog. Don't know if this will work on the '05s.

Reply to
Owlyn

Too funny.

I'd say the exact oppposite about the headlights on my '05. The light is great, the cutoff is crisp and distinct. Isn't that the whole point of projector lenses anways?

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

Headlight brightness is not good on our 99 OB. We have tried re-aiming, and replacing the bulbs with short-life brighter ones, with no appreciable difference. At highway speed on dark roads, the lights just don't illuminate far enough ahead to make the speed feel safe. Our Toyota 4R, Volvo 740, and old Dodge vans are all vastly superior in this regard. It's a definite weakness. If you find a good solution, please share it.

Philip Guest

Reply to
casper

On my 98 OBW I installed a set of Hella FF50 driving lights on either side of the license plate, powered directly from the battery and with their relay controlled by the high-beam switch (tied into the high-beam lead on one headlight). They are on only when the high beams are on. With the stock

55W bulbs they are a dramatic improvement over the headlights alone. With 100W bulbs, carefully aimed, they make driving at reasonable speed safe on the darkest roads.
Reply to
BobN

I'd love to see a picture of how they look.

Reply to
jMon54

Sorry, I don't have a digicam. The lights are pretty small. They are attached to the lower face of the air dam opening in which the license plate sits. It was an easy installation - one bolt through the plastic for each. One other thing - you need the clear acrylic stone shields because it's a vulnerable spot for stones on the highway. I didn't have one with my first set and both lenses were cracked within a few weeks. A good source is Susquehanna Motor Sports at

. Their site has good illustrations of all the Hella lights.

Reply to
BobN

you hve fog lights, may be can help to get more lux, but only the original light it's not good... y hve a legacy 95 and lot of frends hve legacy and it's the same problem...

do you know some group for legacy in web or other?

"casper" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
caballero

Reply to