4 piston brake caliper question

I'm trying to stretch my stock pads out for cooler weather but need to put new pads on soon. Materil's getting thin.

I've never had a non-sliding caliper vehicle before. Any tricks to pushing the pistons in on an 06 WRX wagon? Don't see how a C clamp would work but I haven't had anything disassembled yet so.....

thanx

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Hmmmm. I've never done one, but here's what I'd try:

First, see if you can't get the caliper to pivot away from the rotor by removing one of the mounting bolts. Otherwise, remove both bolts and the caliper. When you do this with a regular ol' floating caliper, the pads stay in the holder, which makes replacement easy. With the non-floating, who knows . . .

Anyway, use one of the old pads and a "C" clamp to compress the pistons on one side of the caliper. Hopefully the opposite set of pistons will stay put, but if they try to extend as you compress the others, you will have to fit a second clamp to hold 'em in.

From there, the rest of the job should be pretty much business as usual.

When you get 'er done, write back and let us know how things went!

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

I was afraid there wouldn't be clearance for a C-clamp. Now I think of it, probably not much diffrence than a sliding caliper I guess.... And, since I plan to flush the fluid, perhaps opening the bleeder will prevent the other side from moving. Like you, I assume I can leave a bolt in and swing it up/down. If not, I have used a coathanger or twine to suspend it safely. makes the process more 'fiddly' but it works.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

If you don't mind losing fluid, you can probably compress the pistons by hand with the bleeder off.

I have one of those power bleeder things that pressurize the fluid reservoir. It's really a nice tool for bleeding brake lines. (And hydraulic clutches as well.) 'Bout my only complaint is that I don't use it often enough to justify keeping it full of fluid, and cleaning it is a pain. Sure makes the job go smooth, tho.

ByeBye! S.

Had brakes from an 02 WRX on my XT6 and don't recall there being pistons on both sides of the caliper. When I change pads, I always open the bleeder because I don't want to force fluid back to the MC and a large screwdriver has always worked for me in compressing the pistons. Once the caliper is swung away from the rotor and insert the screwdriver between the pads and insert the tip of the screwdriver in the rotor's "vents".

Reply to
johninky

02 WRX front brakes are 2-piston sliding caliper.
Reply to
mulder