87 Legacy Wagon

So my girlfriend just picked up an 87 legacy wagon with 160k on it. Has hi/lo 4wd. Runs and drives ok. Got a couple quick Q's

Q1. The engine started getting warm driving it home, but before reaching critical it cooled down to a normal temp (presumably the thermostat kicked open). Could the thermostat be old/sticking? I know that it's important to keep Subaru engines cool to keep em happy.

Q2. Are the Haynes/Chilton manuals any good for this vehicle?

I have been searching the web but there seems to be a huge lack of information on late 80's Subarus on the internet. Can anyone post some links to good Old Subaru resources?

Thanks

-Tom

Reply to
TT

I would replace the radiator with a new one. Those manuals are better than nothing but the factory service manuals are the best. Visit

for tons of data. Subaru didn't make a Legacy in 87. What you have is a GL.

Reply to
johninKY

Sounds like the thermostat to me. I've come to the conclusion that aftermarket thermostats aren't as "smooth" as OEM units, so I stick with OEMs now. After replacing it, be sure to bleed the cooling system. I don't know the details, but the gurus here sure do.

Just as a confidence test for the head gasket (I didn't see which engine you have), remove the radiator cap when cold, start the engine, pinch off the recovery tank hose near the radiator neck, and put the palm of your hand over the radiator cap opening. You should not feel a steady rise of pressure or - worse - pulsations. Either is a sign of head gasket trouble, and you will want to know that before opening the coolant system anyway.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee