93 imprezza fuel filter

Do I need to relieve the pressure in the fuel line before replacing the filter and if so, what's the best way to do so?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I just leave the engine off for several hours. I then wrap a heavy rag around the clamp area and loosen the clamp. No big deal if you don't smoke while doing the job.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I pulled the negative battery cable. There was no pressure at all when I disconnected the fuel lines.

Reply to
Pete

Pull the fuse to the fuel pump and start the car. When it dies, the pressure has been relieved.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Remco, thanks. The first thing I did was go for the fuse but I couldn't locate it because there wasn't one labeled for the fuel pump.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I have a 03 wrx so probably different, but i didnt see a fuel pump fuse, think the relay is behind the glove box somewhere. Seemed easier to just take out the back seat and unplug the harness under the passenger side of the seat and crank it till it wouldnt start anymore.

Reply to
Mike

On my schematic is is labeled MB2 -- it also seems to control the main relay, which also drives the ignition. Sorry but I was wrong suggesting the fuse - that won't work because the ignition will not run to burn it off.

You'll have to disconnect the pump (isn't hard at all). I posted the procedure for releasing fuel pressure and replacing the fuel filter here:

Hope that helps. Remco

Reply to
Remco