2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Filter

Awhile ago I had posted a message looking for help on an issue with my

2001 Grand Cherokee with the 6cyl. Basically when its under 70 degrees it starts on the first turn of the key. Anything hotter it requires me to cycle the key and hold for 5 seconds then it will start on the first full turn of the key.

Had some great help saying that it might have something to do with the throttle body area and sensors so I cleaned the contacts on them and its still doing the same thing. I spoke to a couple other individuals and they said it could be one of three things in their mind. Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump or a leaky injector.

I guess the reason I'm asking is the fuel filter has probably never been changed and has over 130k miles on it. Everything runs great its just the starting issue when its warm. How hard is it or where can I find a good document on changing the fuel filter in this jeep? I was thinking I'd start with the less expensive item and see what happens.

Thanks.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

RSMuddog via CarKB.com

I had a hard start for 9 months and the dealer replaced fuel filter/regulator,fuel sending unit,coil,spark plugs and flushed the fuel system.No joy from any of that.I suspected it to be 1 or more injectors after they replaced the fuel sending unit which was the first thing they did.I subscribed to "Alldata" and their info mentioned a leaking injector a possible suspect.Bingo,# 4 injector was leaking.Replaced it and all is good.Good luck.

Reply to
JMJ

I decided to change my fuel filter on the same car you have. I left town for a week, let the car sit in the garage during that time so the pressure in the fuel line would subside. The filter cost me about $100. I was able to take two of the 3 hoses off. The one that stopped me dead in my tracks was the hose that contained a connector that required it to be pushed in evenly on all sides. I tried everything to get it to come off but it wouldn't. I didn't want to go all out and risk breaking the connector and then having a useless car on my hands so I stopped and put everything back together. I decided I'll have the dealer or a shop put it on for me.

Such a shame to have to pay someone $75 an hour for something I KNOW I could do if the connector would just come off.

Reply to
nathantw

Doesn't every parts store have a universal disconnect kit for these types of fittings?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com