93 Legacy Turbo Power Steering Pump Swap

What's the best way to swap out the power steering pump. I have a replacement from a scrapper same as fitted.
Do I have to bleed the system after exchange?
What's the easiest way to drain the header tank?

I would think disconnecting the return line at the pump and then turning the steering wheel left and right a few times would purge the system of its fluid.
After the replacement pump is installed, turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to purge the air from the system.
Hi fopetesl
On Fri, 21 May 2010 05:14:50 -0700 (PDT), fopetesl

John's on the right track, but you don't need to specifically _drain_ the fluid to swap in another pump.
Pull belts and such.
Loosen the pipe and hose at the pump, just loosen, do not remove.
Remove the bolts working thru the holes in the pulley.
Spread some rags to catch spilled fluid as you disconnect the lines, pull out the old, plop in the new, and reconnect the lines.
You will only loose a dribble from the pipes, (well, plus the contents of the pump reservoir, of course).
Put the bolts back in, tighten the plumbing, and re-install the belts.
Fill the reservoir, start the car,and work the steering lock to lock a couple times. Top off the reservoir.
'Bout a one beer job as long as things are reasonably clean under the hood. Probably worth a trip to the quarter car wash if not.
Hope this helps.
ByeBye! S.
On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:21:06 -0600, S wrote:

I've seen it recommended to raise the front of the car so the tires are *just* touching the ground.

Is that to stop types scrubbing when working the steering after the swap?
On Sun, 23 May 2010 05:50:58 -0700, fopetesl wrote:

I think you want some kind of a load on it, but not too much on the pump and the tires.

Thanks, guys. Sounds a breeze :) But will have to wait for better weather - our English summer seems to be over :( No garage at my home. Still, builds up the arm muscles!