'96 5 Speed Center Differential Problems

Hi all and thanks for reading.

I have a 96 2.2 AWD Legacy Wagon with a 5 speed which means it uses the viscous coupled center differential.

Only in the last few months, I have been experiencing the '4WD Scrub' which means it binds up and shudders when turning a corner (Like my old switch on the fly locking 4WD Loyale)

This does not happen when the car is cold, only when I have been driving it for a while (once it is warm/hot). So... the magic silicone fluid that fills the center diff is getting hot and binding even when it should not. Please note that I REALLY thought it worked off the same 80w/90 gear oil that fills the surrounding gearbox/front differential, but I have read numerous offical subaru dealer notes stating that the center differential runs off a special silicone fluid.

I have all new matched tires which means that is not the problem.

I'm pretty sure I have just burned off/overheated too much of that magic silicone fluid or beaten up my center diff towing too many heavy toys.

I was told 'Yep, it is shot. You cannot fix it, just buy a new one ($450). You have to drop the tranny, pull it apart and replace the diff as a whole unit'

Is this true? Has anyone heard of this? I have SEARCHED the net and come up with very few answers. No one really talks about the viscous center diffs.

Can I replace/refill the silicon fluid? Are these servicable ? Can I buy a used one? Where?

Thanks a lot in advance, Jeremy

Reply to
jhelm_waterw

I have the factory manual for the 1996 2.2 Impreza and it has a section on the center diff I know. I will look through it and see what I can find for you. I'm sure they must be similar if not the same.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Does not allow binary posts here I guess. I can email you the file if you like.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I have the _identical_ problem in my 95 5MT 2.2l Legacy - started this spring after a 500km all hwy drive.

I've done some research; there are a couple of USMB threads on it:

?t=14992 I ask the "head" mechanic at my Subaru dealership about it and he said that the VC part of the centre differential is in the process of failing and that the binding will eventually go away, but I'll be left with an open center differential (i.e. it won't lock when one wheel spins). He said they charge

950$ CDN and four hours labour, but almost no one ever repairs them because it takes about 8-10 years for them to fail and by that time no one is willing to spend that kind of money into a car that otherwise runs just fine.

He said it is still AWD, > Only in the last few months, I have been experiencing the '4WD Scrub'

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

I wonder if you could find a used transmission at a salvage yard then? Or perhaps have a specialty transmission shop do the work?

Worst case scenario is you get FWD instead of AWD I guess.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I've had that same problem with a 95 MT Legacy Wagon as well. I found a used transmission with 75 k miles for $450 on car-part.com and had it put in for a few hundred $ more.

The bucking of my Legacy in tight corners was ennerving enough beforehand to make the investment totally worthwhile.

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

The difference in circumference between any two tires must not exceed

1/4 inch. Measure the circumference of all four tires.
Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel