2005 Subaru Outback impressions and comparisons

I recently test drove a 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R LL Bean. I was very impressed by its response and handling. The interior felt quite upscale with quality leather seats, dual A/C, CD changer, huge moonroof. The exterior has pleasing lines and is eye-catching and stylish. I like the big lights in the front and rear. I find older Subaru styles blah or downright ugly; the new OBW is a great improvement. I have had a pretty bad image of Subaru, far below Honda, Toyota or even Nissan on the Japanese totem pole. But recently when I entered the market for an AWD offroad vehicle that also would be used for city driving I almost immediately zeroed in on the Outback because I want to avoid getting an SUV.

I am not an SUV-hater and certainly appreciate the need for one on certain terrain. I just find it hard to justify the amount of space occupied and fuel consumed by an SUV transporting a single individual on freeways and city streets. Also I own a BMW 330i and can give up only so much driving enjoyment in normal conditions. Guiding a lumbering tipsy goliath on pavement would turn into too much of a chore.

The Outback is quick and stable. Its H6 was very smooth and responsive as I took it over 100 mph on the freeway. In an empty parking lot I tried some tight circles and corners and the wagon obliged every time. The brakes felt soft but not disturbingly so. The noise level was no worse than my BMW which purposely does not have the quietest cabin in the world. The ride felt pretty smooth for me and the passengers but I stuck to well-paved roads.

I was almost sold on the Outback after the test drive but for a few misgivings. The biggest issue is rear legroom. I cannot understand how anyone could design a car for camping and family activities involving long drives but provide rear legroom that feels slightly tight. Subaru needs to add 2 inches or more to the 33.9 inches provided. The second issue is general brand image. I'm not sure I want to be seen in a Subaru--I just hope other people will notice the same improvements in styling that I have! The third issue is reliability. I have first hand experience of top-class Japanese quality in Honda and Toyota. I also have had no complaints of my BMW. So the prospect of anything less is the source of some anxiety.

After trying out the OBW I felt obligated to look at the competition. The only other AWD offroad wagons I found are the Volvo XC70 and the Audi allroad. The XC70 is a much nicer and more comfortable car. It is roomier in every sense and I doubt my backbenchers would have anything to complain about on long drives. But on the freeway the XC70 seemed to need some coaxing to go faster and to stop. It is not nearly as responsive as the Outback and I could really feel its length and breadth on the road. I've never been a fan of Volvo's boxy style which can be described as staid at best but the XC70 does have a number of luxury options like rain-sensing wipers, seat memory etc. that simply are not available for the Outback. The standard cassette player dates the center console though. Its ground clearance is somewhat less than the Outback's but not by much. Its colors were much more appealing than the Outback selection. I remain convinced though Outback has a better AWD system than Volvo's. And I don't have good impressions of Volvo reliability though I do see a lot of old Volvo's running around.

The Audi A6 allroad was next. I admit I have been averse to Audi since their 1980's debacle in the US and am pretty sure I would never actually buy one. Their styles are sportier than Volvo but I find them too rounded blob-like without character. The allroad is a great ride though. I tried the 300hp V8 and it unquestionably was the most powerful of the three cars. The cabin is definitely luxurious and may be roomier than the Volvo. Again it has a bunch of luxury options not available in the Outback. I was not able to put it through its paces as much as the Outback but it handled as well as I could expect of any non-BMW car. However a big negative is its SUVish 15/21 mpg consumption. Also it has four levels of ground clearance ranging from

5.6 inches to 8.2 inches that I find needlessly complicated. I'm afraid that only means more things can go wrong. What if I get somewhere on 8.2 inches and then my ground clearance gets stuck at a lower level? Also what's up with Europeans and cassette players--standard on the allroad too!

Price is a factor but just on the merits of essential features--AWD, offroad, handling, response, power, and comfort--I am leaning toward the Outback. I'm hoping I can get one for a day or two to really test its rear seating comfort.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

We have had our 2005 base Outback for about two weeks now. Why didn't we opt for the turbo or the H6; price and practicality were factors. After having driven a 2000 OBW for 4 years previously, I have to say that the

05 is a significant step forward IMHO. Ergonomics, ride and driving feels are the biggest improvements. My second car is an Audi and while the Subaru does not have the knife edge handling of an Audi (or a BMW for that matter) it is surprisingly close to a "European feel".

Power delivery response is also up, and it something you can actually feel compared to the old car (in the base version). Gas mileage was a issue for us as the 2000 did not get the economy that we had hoped so we were hoping for an improvement. We got one! Our latest tank was 661 klms (411 miles), with 8 litres remaining. To get 600 klms on the old car we would have to have a tailwind and a 600 klm downhill run.

As an aside, our 2000 was one of the most reliable cars we have ever had. Other than oil changes and scheduled maintenance it never saw the inside of a service garage.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Well, Mario Andretti...please don't get a Subaru.

Stick with your BMW, as we'd hate for you to feel any *anxiety* as your cruising the freeways past us, at 100MPH.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I saw a BMW going really fast, when I passed him!

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Tim, there are tons of good reviews out there. Maybe some of them will help you make more comparisons and even help you to decide. Check 'em out:

Hope this helps...-Karen-

Tim wrote:

Reply to
Karen Martin

I don't know why, but I find this particular statement obnoxious...

:^)

If you're so embarrassed by driving a Subaru, or care what others think, why are you even looking at it in the first place? I mean, you have the BMW already...the scooby can be your "slumming" car...just make sure you drive around with the sunglasses and fake moustache...so no one knows it's you driving that...that...that Subaru!

Mort (who drives a...gasp...02 TS Wagon...)

Reply to
Mort Shuman

Yeah...while he's breezing along at speeds in excess of 100MPH, no less...in one of those-- Subarus

Reply to
CompUser

Who cares about brand image anyway? Nevermind, I know a lot of people do.

5 years ago, when I started looking for another vehicle, my "brand image" of Subaru was largely influenced by the majority of Subies that I saw with roof carriers toting everything from standard bicycles to canoes. I didn't see anything wrong with that, and eventually even started riding my mountain bike again, thanks to the fact that I could throw it in the back of the Subaru I ended up buying.

At the same time, one of my close friends couldn't understand why I bought a Subaru. He's always bought Lexus and Mercedes, so Subaru was completely off his vehicular radar. (He thought they still made the BRAT!) Anyway, after about a year or two of ownership, he was convinced that Subaru was an excellent choice for a vehicle. I think one of the reasons for his change of heart was that his riverside cottage had a road that was more often mud than dirt, and had a tendency to trap his Lexus. Not only that, but he started having odd problems with the car, probably due to the harsh environment it was being subjected to. I don't think they designed the GS with floodplains in mind. ;) Meanwhile, the Subaru soldiered on, and at one point he offered to buy it from me but I refused, insisting that he get his own. ;)

He's since moved away, but we still keep in touch over the phone, and during our last conversation he was telling me he's considering one of those new Outbacks. Subaru sure has come a long way.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

If you have a BMW, why go for a Subaru? The Lamborghini Murcielago has all-wheel drive as well and would be far less embarrassing to be seen in.

Reply to
oothlagre

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Bah! Balderdash! Isn't Lamborghini just a Fiat, these days? I've never wanted a BMW myself. Flash for pimps and poseurs. ...but then I used to be an Alfisti! Now I LOVE my Subie!

Reply to
Juhan Leemet

No, a Lamborghini is just an Audi these days ! :)

Reply to
Losiho

Doesn't BMW = Break My Window? (Refering to all the stolen ones.)

Or the often asked question: Why do BMW's have turn signals?...I don't know either. (Refering to common etiquete of beemer drivers NOT using turn signals)

Reply to
Bill

totally OT: Does "bimmer" refer to the car and "Beemer" to the motorcycle?

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

OK, OK, found the answer:

Rockin Ronnie

And note that many/most beemers and Subies have something in common that is different to almost everything else on the road ... a boxer engine.

-- Bruce owner of a boxer beemer and a boxer soobie.

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

That's cool. I have always been confused about the distinction.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Oilhead or Airhead?

Reply to
Rob Munach

I went airhead boxer ('84 R80RT) to inline flat four ('86 K100RT) to oilhead boxer ('95 R1100RT). The oilhead is as sweet as the airhead but with wonderful frame/suspension and as much power as the inline four, but without the airhead's horrid bing carbs. It does 60 mpg two up with luggage, double what the soobie (Legacy 250T wagon) does, and also 50% better than the airhead and 33% better than the K. All cruising at 70 -

75 mph on NZ two-lane roads with overtaking as required.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

Wow! My '95R100GS only gets 40mpg on a good day.

Reply to
Rob Munach