About oil consumption

Made a stupid calculation error in a previous post (dont remember the title of the thread). Mixed city/highway driving would give aroud 20,000,000 power strokes and not 900,000,000 strokes like i wrote. But the main point is still : if 1 millionth of an once of oil(cylinder wall oil) is burnt at every power stroke this would add up to 20 ounces of oil for 5,000 kilometers.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

It sort of goes along with what I was taught many years ago. All cars burn oil. If they don't appear to burn oil, it's because gas or water is taking the place of the burned oil.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I seem to remember that many years ago an article was written that gave the results of the amount of oil consumed(burned) in an internal combustion engine running at 1/2 load. The tests were preformed by the US military and supervised by General Motors Corporation. In a well designed internal combustion engine with a bore/stroke ratio of 1 to 1 running a variable rpm

1/2 load cycle of 1500-4500 rpm. The good oil c> > Made a stupid calculation error in a previous post (dont remember the
Reply to
Edward Hayes

If I'm not mistaken, didn't that lead to a test protocol GM used for many years after that called something simply like "the Oldsmobile test" or similar indicating it was based on the Olds engine, which had been chosen cuz it was particularly hard on oil? An old time engineer told me about it, but I didn't pay enough attention at the time to remember well today.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright