Another Surging Forester

I have a 2001 Forester and it surges slightly while I am decelerating. If I drive ~40mph, then brake to an easy stop I can feel the car lurch. These lurches appear to match the gears changing. These surges are in the forward direction.

The RPMs also seem to not drop as much as I would expect when I release the gas, but this is my first car with a tachometer.

Any ideas on whats going on? Other than that the car rides and drives smoothly. I just bought this car about 3 weeks ago. 95k miles.

Reply to
dnoyeB

The torque converter unlocks at about 35 mph when decelerating. probably what you are witnessing.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Is this a flaw in the Subaru drivetrain? I never noticed it on the GMs I have driven.

Reply to
dnoyeB

No flaw. That is one reason you get better mileage than a GM i.e. the AT locks up so it does not slip.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thats nice to know.

Reply to
dnoyeB

No...its supposed to do it!

dnoyeB wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

Ed, I have an '06 Forester coming off a '99 Bonneville. I got better or at least equal mileage in the Bonnie as in my Forester. In fact, after owning my Forester for 2500 miles, I don't understand why Subarus are so popular. They don't do anything particularly well, just average. Mileage is average, they are not roomy, not great power, nor extra special handling, oh and they are NOT CHEAP either. They are not even lookers. Why this car company is still in business is a mystery up there with the aerodynamics of the bumble bee.

Reply to
higgledy

Out handles, out brakes, get way better gas mileage, sounds better, looks better and more fun to drive. I have a 2000 Forester with

102,000 trouble free miles but if you don't like yours 06 I will trade you and being a good; no great guy I will add $2000. let me know you decision. Ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yeah, lets "trade" your '00 for my '06 +2000 that is about equal?

Out handles, out brakes, get way better gas mileage, sounds better, looks better and more fun to drive. Than what?

Reply to
higgledy