bad smell after clutch change

Ever since I had the clutch changed on my 92 Legacy (standard shift), a bad burning smell emanates in the cabin every time I use the clutch in first gear (on an incline). The person who changed the clutch also said he had the pressure plate machined for a good fit. The clutch still skips a bit from a standing start, just as it did before the work was done. I had the clutch changed because of the skipping (hard to get it engaged in first gear without the car vibrating and shaking) but now I'm still saddled with the skipping but have an odor too. The mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong so he gave up after a while.

I'm thinking of having the clutch replaced again but don't want to go through the same thing if I can help it. Does anyone know what's wrong with the supposedly new clutch and what's causing the burning odor? I have to drive with all the windows open. Needless to say, I don't use this car much anymore.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
wayne

He probably got grease on the clutch pads or the pressure plate. Either he was just careless and had greasy hands or he put too much grease on the pilot bearing and the grease was thrown out onto the pads.

I guess there's also the possibility that your rear crank seal is bad, causing oil to get in there, but it seems unlikely.

BTW, any clutch will smell if you're slipping it to hold in place on a hill. Use the brakes to hold the car, not the clutch.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's been around 3 years already since he worked on it. I use the car off and on and it still smells.

The bad smell started after he worked on the clutch.

Because of the smell, I don't use the clutch to hold the car... not unless I'm wearing a gas mask.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

My guess is after 3 years of slipping the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are now junk. If you decide to repair this problem just replace everything.

Reply to
johninKY

I hardly ever drive this car. I've probably put no more than 5000 miles on it the last 3 years.

Reply to
wayne