cargo space: height, width, depth measurements

I've seen the volume (in cubic feet) measurements for the cargo area in the Impreza and Foresters listed on the Subaru web site (with seats folded down). I'm trying to find the height, width, and depth measurements. I want to estimate if my road bike will fit, height-wise primarily.

Has anyone else had success in hauling road-bikes in the cargo area?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David J.

Your bike will fit with the rear sets down. Heck, I got mine in the _trunk_ of a Camry. You may want to consider getting a hitch installed and add a good bike rack. Better for the bike and the car. Can be done for about $200 U.S.

Reply to
Alan

I think you've misunderstood my post. I know that I will be able to put a bike sideways in the back -- no problem. What I want to do is put a couple of fork-mounts on a 2x4. Then I want to put two or three bikes, upright, in the back. (whatever will fit -- that's why I need the dimensions)

I currently have a Honda Accord with 4 bike racks on the top. Convenient, yes, but it kills the gas mileage and the expensive road bikes get very dirty. Plus you have to worry about them whenever you park your car, or whenever you pull into a carport. That's why I want to transport the bikes inside instead.

Anybody have the real dimensions -- that would help the most...

Reply to
David J.

an "unofficial measurement" by a salesman said: With the rear seats folded down the Impreza wagons measurements are: 52.5" wide, 30" tall and 57" deep

-David

He said the Forester gives about 1" more clearance vertically.

Reply to
David J.

We looked at the Forrester before deciding on the OBW. You also need to look at the clearance of the rear door- I think it is smaller than the interior. The interior is not really as tall as it looks from the outside, but you may be able to get 2 bikes in as described. Best bet of course is to go to a dealer.

We use a hitch-mounted rack (Sportster), and lock the bikes to the rack and the rack to the hitch all using one long kryptonite cable and a kryptonite lock. We remove any add-ons (odometer, bags, etc.).

Reply to
Alan