Clarion CD player in Legacy/Liberty, fit iPod socket to CD stacker input?

We have a 99 model Liberty (Australian Legacy) with the original Clarion AM/FM CD player. This unit has a CD stacker button, which means it has the ability to select an external audio input.

I'd like to fit a 3.5mm audio connector so I can plug in an iPod, but can't find any instructions for this model.

Has anyone done this and can offer pointers? Or it it that the Clarion connector is a standard type and I can use some more generic instructions?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

While I'm not familiar with your specific model head unit, based on experience with other OEM Subaru heads I'd say you were in for a challenge. Not impossible, mind you, but not trivial either.

If you have the inclination (and skills) to open up the unit, and trace out the external audio input wires, determine what signal lines allow it to be selected, and retrofit the (tiny ) 3.5mm jack, you can undoubtedly get it to go, but probably you will be time and money ahead to pick up an aftermarket stereo with the features you desire, and install that. Try ebay for the head unit, and Crutchfield, or maybe even ebay again for a wiring harness adapter. Your Soobie takes a standard DIN mount, and you may need to get a tray/spacer if your Clarion is a "double DIN" unit; the tray will be there already if it's a single. I'm partial to Alpine electronics, but do some research on-line before you start shopping to narrow the field a bit. With the components in hand, the actual install shouldn't take more than an hour or so. Hope this is what you were looking for. ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101