AM/FM/CD player?

Camry Fans:

I've looked a couple of places for AM/FM/CD player. It would be nice if it played mp3's burned on my computer on a CD as well.

Anyway, basically speaking, depending on where you go, there is a wall covered with these players. How to choose? When the installer/salesman began explaining the various models, I lost track very quickly. I don't want to buy one of these expensive goodies unless I know as much as possible about it and why I am choosing it over, say, that one over there or the one with a "sale" sticker on it.

Is there a brand made for Toyota Camry's? The installer/salesman said I had to either let them cut the wires and put new jacks/plugs on that fit the player -or- buy a $30 adapter harness to allow the player to hook up to the car's wiring. Is there a company that makes a player that slips in and hooks up easily? That wouldl go a log way in helping me to make up my mind.

If someone in the group has one they like that installs easily, please tell me the brand and model. Also, if this is even remotely possible, I would like it to have an input on the front so someone can plug in their iPod either by headphone jack or by USB (isn't USB how these things interface with a computer, so why not AM/FM/CD player?).

I'm using the stock 4-speaker system.

TIA for any input.

Best wishes,

64 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

The adapter plugs are like $14.95 --- so the soldering of the new radio wires to the plug and covering then with heat shrink tubing must be the other $15! I have an extra set of the plugs (2) if ya need them - $10 including shipping and instruction sheet.

Reply to
Wolfgang

A really nice Blaupunct AM/FM/CD/MP3 player that bolts in to your factory brackets. and with the included for free wiring harness adapter plugs into your Toyotas wiring. This makes it as techniacal as making toast in a toaster.

do you need a $300 head unit from a big box retailer? NO it won't play music any better, louder, or longer than the any of the units at

Im Right

I miss the older Blaupunkt head units that would somewhat match the car's interior. Now all they got is the ones that look like disco balls at night.

Reply to
Rex

I took a look at the site but will have to return when my proxy is not so busy and the pages load faster.

Which Blaupunct model is the one that plugs into the car's wiring? I see three models listed. Should I give up on this idea of not cutting the car's wiring? After all, isn't this something that'll last the life of the car?

Also, I'm curious about "European Tuning No Seek/Scan." I have no idea what that means.

I have to say that I am partial to Pioneer since I have a 30-y.o. Pioneer am/fm tuner in my 67 VW bus that works as good today as it did the day I bought it.

Thanks for your help.

94 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

I'm not going to mess with the installation unless it's something I can do easily. It seems to me that I'd be halfway done with it and wishing I'd hired someone who does it all the time in order to get the job done right.

That would be overkill for me. Before doing that I'd buy one-a-doze cassette units that you plug into the radio and the cigarette lighter, then plug in a CD/MP3 player to play through the existing unit.

One thing I haven't thought about is asking about this at the dealer. They might have a unit that fits right in. I hate to think how much they'd charge for it, dealer parts being so expensive.

Thanks,

94 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

The way you should do it is buy the adapter for your car, it's usually

15-20$. Sometimes less. Buy the radio. The adapter plugs into your factory harness and you splice the wires from the adapter to the wires sticking out of the back of the new radio. That way you don't hack off the factory harness.

The cheap way is to cut off the factory harness and research which wires do what and splice them in to the radio's wires.

Or go to ebay.com and find a Toyota radio that has a CD player and will connect to your existing harness.

Reply to
Rex

I'd screw it up. There's a little tool/technique paradigm involved that I'd rather forego in favor of having someone do it for me. I appreciate the information. Thank you.

Reply to
94 Camry LE

This is one place where the dealer prices are ridiculously expensive. But you might try checking eBay for a Toyota unit that will plug right in and preserve the stock appearance.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

dealer.

I'll find out today when I stop by the dealer's parts department. Unfortunately, I can't buy anything on the web because I don't have any credit cards. Okay, I have one, but only Sears takes it.

Thanks and best wishes,

94 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

Many sellers on eBay will accept alternate payment arrangments.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Set up a free PayPAL account - it deducts amount directly from your bank account --- you do have a bank or credit union account?

Reply to
Wolfgang

In article , Wolfgang replied:

Wolfgang:

I'm not entirely enamored of paypal, but thanks for the good idea.

I visited the dealer and they can no longer order the two AM/FM/CD players that go into my Camry. But I have the model numbers. Only problem I can see is the units are twice the size of the AM/FM/cassette player I have in there now, meaning the console/dash must have been different than mine. So I'm not going to mess with it.

It looks as if I'm back to the idea of getting an aftermarket unit. All I have to do is settle on one I like and then turn my back when the installer wriggles up under the dash and butchers the wiring.

Now, back to which one to buy. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic players because it's a name I have always had good luck with. I suppose I could ask a few kids what they're buying. That's one thing that's nice about getting older -- I can ask the 18-y.o's for advice because they know everything, just as we did when we were their age!

Thanks again for your help.

94 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

I have the model numbers. Only

Doesn't your present radio have an empty space below? Been so long, I forgot exactly what it was, storage space I think. That just comes out with the old radio to make room for the new. Fits in the dash just fine.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Why, yes it does.

Storage space, with a hatch, probably for CD's the unit doesn't play :-(

Thanks for the information.

94 Camry LE
Reply to
94 Camry LE

Here's what I see:

There's a disclaimer:

"YOUR CAR MUST HAVE A FACTORY TOYOTA AMP FOR THIS RADIO/CD RECEIVER TO WORK."

What's a "FACTORY TOYOTA AMP?"

Reply to
94 Camry LE

Your car probably doesn't have one. Mine doesn't. It is a separate "box" included with some radio setups for increased performance. Took me a long time, but I finally found an AM/FM/cassette tape/CD player from a 1994 that fit perfectly and matched appearance. Installation is simple because only four bolts hold it in. The stock wiring harness just plugs into the back of the unit. The CD player is really nice. Once you've become accustomed to one, you probably won't want to be without it - you select your own music and it plays for a long time with good fidelity and no commercials. Didn't see any on eBay at this time. Many people have said you can find better quality and price with a new unit. Just spend the few extra dollars to get the connector so it plugs into the factory wiring harness with no cutting of wires.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I have purchased and had installed a very nice Pioneer AM/FM/CD/mp3 player. It has a nicer sound than the stock unit. I took the long way home from the audio store so's I could listen to a Supertramp album.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

Reply to
94 Camry LE