clock problem

Hi folks, I drive a 99 Forrester (my wife drives a 98). A few weeks ago, the clock that is on the top and center of the windshield area (it's got the overhead lights and sunglasses storage bin there too) started to fail. It would go out, and then come back showing 12:00 and I'd reset it, it would work for a bit and then fail again.

It's now totally failed, black and not coming back.

Any clues on how to fix this ? Is there a fuse somewhere ? How can I get to the wiring to see if it's a lose wire (my own suspicion) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerseyj

Edward Hayes

I drive a 2000 Forester and within the past few weeks have been having a similar problem. Sometimes there is no display, other times it's there but dim, and other times it seems perfectly normal.

When there's nothing on the display, I've found that tapping the face of the clock will cause the display to return. Because of this, I'm not sure this would be due to a loose wire.

Any thoughts on what the problem/solution might be?

Reply to
czechsmix

I had the same problem on my 1998 Forester, and eventually the clock failed completely. When I next went to the dealer for service, I mentioned the problem to the service manager, he said that it could be fixed, but the repair would be too expensive to be practical.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams

can't you call around the import parts stores and get a price for the part? Should be fairly simple to install, in a 2000 the clock is overhead correct?

Reply to
A7N8X-X

Hi:

Had the same problem in a Loyale. Remove the clock and dis-asemble the body. Look at the printed circuit board. There is likely a burnt trace. Go to an electronics store and pick up high wattage resistors to replace the low watage resistors. The PCB should have the value of the resistor printed on the board.

If nothing else, go to a wrecker and pull out three or four clocks. Eventually one will work.

This is a common problem.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Johnston

Jerry, I've repaired one of these. When I removed the clock, a surface mount resistor came out too seperately. Soldered this back on and hey presto. Poor solder joint I suppose.

Shane (AU).

Reply to
Shane White

Thanks Shane, glad I learned some soldering as part of my ham radio work.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerseyj