92 300SL Clock

I am about to have my A/C evaporator replaced, so I thought since the dash has to come out, I might take advantage and have the clock repaired. I've been told you have to replace the entire instrument cluster to repair the clock. It's really not worth the $900 the dealership quoted, so I'm not too interested in expensive repairs. The evaporator is expensive enough, but air conditioning is way higher on my list of needs than the time of day. Does anyone know about this? The clock works sometimes, but it tends to stop until you reset it again, then it will work for a few minutes, hours or even a day, but it always stops. As usual, any advice is appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not sure about your model. I once work on a flaky clock on W126 (87

300SDL). The clock may go a while then st> I am about to have my A/C evaporator replaced, so I thought since the dash
Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

I've had the same problem with my 1990 420SEL clock. I finally discovered that after you set it, pull out on the knob slightly. Sometimes it will click, sometimes it won't, but it usually fixes the problem until the next daylight savings change.

John

Reply to
John Simpson