Connecting Electrical add ons

I picked up a Day/Night rear view mirror, and wonder if there is wiring in the 2.5i for it, which it didn't come on? Wasn't gona spend

2500 more for an Outback to get it.)) It is switched by the backup light switch. I assume to turn it off for backing up. I filp my reg mirror in the daytime if a car comes up with lights on, since my eyes are very sensitive to bright lights. Don't know if the factory wireing powers the mirror in the daytime like I would want, but not when the engine is off. Guess the compass would need power. Might work like LED's and wear out with use.

I decided to add an alarm I had that has a shock sensor, that I paid

50$ for, since Sube wanted 230 to add the sensor, and tell the computer it exists. That will be easier to connect. They say to test the sensitivity by banging your fist on the front bumper. I can picture the air bags deploying.((

VF

Reply to
houndman

I have a day/night auto mirror in my OBW and to be honest, if it weren't for the compass and temp I'd prefer to have the manual mirror. If you're eyes are sensitive to light, the auto mirror will drive you nuts when it changes from day to night back to day when driving at night. There is a delay when changing and if you think about it, the headlights have to hit the mirror for it to change, so for a fraction of a second you have full-on daytme mirror with headlights in your night-time driving view. Very annoying

Reply to
John

Doesn't it take you longer to flip the mirror, or would you flip it and leave it at night? I am always flipping depending whether there is a car behind or not. It makes it easier on my eyes, and I like it off when not needed

How sensitive is it to the lights, if there is a car behind but at a distance, will it still darken? I have more problems with trucks or cars with the driving lights on. I am often turning the mirror so I can't see them reflected at all or turning on my interior lights, to soften the brightness. Almost like they are on anyway. How dark does it get? A frind with one and his windows tinter, says he can't see anything at all.((

VF

Reply to
houndman

The only time the auto-dimm seems weird is sitting int he garage in the daytime with the garage door open. The differential front/rear fools the mirror into full dim.

Other than that , its function is unnoticeably tranpsparent.

Also, I thought the shock sensor was tested by rolling down the driver's window, engaging the sec. sys. and then banging on the steering wheel? Supposedly there is a way the dealer can adjust the sensitivuty too. I wonder how?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Have you checked in your overhead console? There is 12V present in the console, even if the connector isn't there, what else does the mirror need?

Reply to
D&SW

my after market alarm has a screw to adjust the sensitivity.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Overhead console? You mean the ones with map lights or something near the mirror? The base model doesn't have that. Just the dome light over the back of the frint seat. That has power.

The mirror is connected to the backup light switch. Imagine the mirror lightens when backing up, to be able to see better. I'd think if no lights are behind it would lighten, and if there were, they would light up the area, unless the mirror darkens a lot.

VF

Reply to
houndman

what does the front sensor on the mirror do? Does it dim the mirror according to how dark it is in front, like that affects how the eyes would adjust? It might not be good for me, since my injury affected my vision seeing in the dark.

What does it do when putting the car in reverse, since they are connected to the backup light switch?

I was warned not to try to install the alarm, that I could do damage to the electrical system, so get a pro to do it, after someone told me how to do it. Just really want it for the shock sensor feature, so should be able to just connect it to the battery, and not have any risk.

VF

Reply to
houndman

"Connect the wiring as specified in the manufacturer's instructions. One wire will connect to a ground, another is the power line and connects via the fuse box to the ignition, and a third connects to the backup-lamp circuit for the vehicle. The latter connection serves to automatically disengage the auto-dimming feature when the vehicle is in reverse gear."

I got this by searching with Google for "auto dimming mirror wiring". Some mirrors do not have this feature. I will have to try mine to see if reverse has any effect.

I have the standard auto dimming mirror/compass on my 2005 Forester. I find it works very well. The only thing better is the few cars which have auto dimming door mirrors. The front sensor keeps it from dimming in the daytime.

I have the factory alarm, dropping a wiper blade will make it beep a warning.

If you have a strong knowledge of automotive electrical systems, you should be able to add the alarm. It is more challenging as the cars have more wires each year.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I'd say I have a fair knowledge of electrical systems, but the new ones might tie my brain in knots.))

I have a factory shop manual for 06's, which I figured would be the same as the 07's or close, and the wire colors on the mirror I picked up are different, and think I need an adapter to mount it on an Impreza.

It would be nice to have dimming outside mirrors, since I block the glare with a hand, like I block my eyes when driving in the city. I'm not as sensitive as I used to be, after an injury, when my eyes would hurt for hrs after from too bright lights.

VF

Reply to
houndman