Distance between Crossbars - Forester Cargobbox?

Hi there,

I just purchased a Yakima cargo box for my other car and would like to put it on top of my 2004 Forester as well. The crossbars are currently 45" apart but the box is pretty small and the spread has to be between 29" and 36" apart. Are there any issues if I move the crossbars closer together? Should I move both towards the centre equally or move the front one back or the back one forward? Anyone have any experience with this? thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Reply to
MikeE

You may need to get Yakima 'towers'(adpaters) and Yakima cross bars.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The Yakima website appears to imply that I should be OK with the OEM Subaru crossbars. When I indicate that I have the Factory crossbars, it suggests the box that I have (and no additional hardware). Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences on moving the crossbars?

Reply to
MikeE

Hmmm... the ends kinda 'float'/slide in-out a little on the bars so, I'd expect some experimentation would be OK. Just make certain stuff is secure. maybe they just recommend the positions for minimum wind noise?

maybe someone else will have real experience with this.

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I really don't have any experience with this, but I seem to have heard that you should place luggage as far forward as possible for better handling. That would mean moving the rear bar forward some to meet the measurement. That's assuming, of course, that it doesn't affect the balance of fastening it to the roof in an adverse way.

Reply to
Tim Conway

maybe dig around/ask over here;

let us know what you discover OK?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Curious, I just measured mine at 34 inches apart. Mine's an '03 and I had set them off looking at a Forester picture because prep missed them. I don't have boxes but sometimes use them to carry home lumber.

Reply to
Frank

Hmmm... the ends kinda 'float'/slide in-out a little on the bars so, I'd expect some experimentation would be OK. Just make certain stuff is secure. maybe they just recommend the positions for minimum wind noise?

maybe someone else will have real experience with this.

Carl

Remember - the max load is 150 lbs, so placing them forwar or back should not make a significant difference in anything but strong crosswinds. I put mine to the extreme front and back for better cross-wind stability when lugging our sea kayaks (17' & 16', approx 130 lbs with gear). I've had no problems in the last 3 years. I have noticed that the rails have faded, but they aren't there for show. I've also applied a high quality silicone grease to the threads on the TORX locking screws which has helped when I remove them for the Canadian winter. The areodynamic rails tend to flex, so make sure the load is even in the carrier over both.

my $.02

Reply to
4orrester

snipped-for-privacy@n34g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

Great advice about the silicone grease - I'm in Canada too and will likely do the same. UPDATE - I've moved the rear bar forward (no problems at all with the TORX bit) to create a 32" spread to match my other car and I'll attempt to put the box up on the weekend. Doesn't look like there should be a problem. Thanks all for your advice. I'll report back.

Reply to
MikeE