Duracell batteries

I have run across a few complaints about Duracell batteries, of various sizes, leaking and ruining devices. I seem to mostly have Energizer batteries in the few things I've checked, although all my lithium AA batteries are Duracells.

So far I haven't experienced any leakage on those batteries, which is good since I use them on my GPS and my Canon camera. I'd rather not have to replace those items.

Anyone notice Duracell -- or any mainstream brand -- leaking? It would be nice to know for sure whether it was a good idea to avoid them.

Reply to
Darryl Johnson

When deconstructed, Duracell batteries have a thinner paste. When there is a leak, it is easier for thinner paste to ooze out. While all akaline batteries have a corrosive paste, a thin paste will cover more of the contacts than thicker paste. When Duracells leak, they cause more damage.

The datestamp on the package is not how long the batteries will last under use. That's their shelf life. Once used (put into service), they're more likely to leak due to outgassing. Every year I replace all alkaline batteries in every device in my house, garage, and car. Doesn't matter if they got little or no use in that time. It's forgetting to replace the batteries that eventually has them leak and damage the equipment. While once a year sounds excessive, I figure the cost of replacing all the batteries is cheaper than replacing the gear they're installed in. I set a yearly reminder in my calendar apps (all read from the same source) to replace all alkaline batteries.

Their shelf life is a lot longer, so I can buy the batteries any time during the year to get the best price. For flashlights or other lightly used or emergency gear, I used no-name brands that I've found are stable and with decent power. If the gear is something I will used many times during the year, I'll get Energizer. I shy away from Duracell because their runny paste is more likely to ooze out and spread out. They're probably okay for a 1-year use-span provided you remember to replace them after a year, but they're not worth the extra cost. In fact, not too long ago I hunted around for power curves on various brands of batteries. A few guys had equipment that would drain the batteries at different loads to determine how much power over how long the various brands could deliver. In general, Duracell was less than Energizer.

To be on topic to this newsgroup, are you asking about car batteries made by Duracell versus other brands? Buying top-brand car batteries is a waste of money. They'll all have to get replaced in 4-5 years during which they all perform the same (at the same CCA rating). Other than flashlight type or hand-sized batteries, I don't remember any of the auto parts stores that I visit (AutoZone, O'Reilly, NAPA, Advanced Auto, Sears, Northern Tool, Walmart, Pep Boys) ever carrying a lead-acide "Duracell" car battery. Where did you see a Duracell-branded lead-acid car battery?

Reply to
VanguardLH