extended warranties?

I'm considering getting an extended warranty on a pre-owned Impreza Outback. Desired features:

-- low deductible, per visit

-- payment direct to repair shop of my choice

-- reputable company, easy to contact

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks Timo

Reply to
Timo

My WRX hits 3 years old tomorrow so out of warranty. Subaru UK has offered me 'an everything in' extension covering repairs up to the value of the car plus hotel and free hire car blah blah. How much? £864 for the first year rising to £1100 odd for year 5. That's around $1500 for the first year and nearly $2k for the next. I thought it was a typo. Pass.

-- Clive Norris Selectron (UK) Ltd Musical Equipment Distribution

"The more corrupt the State, the more numerous the laws". Tacitus

Reply to
Clive

Hi Timo,

Gonna assume you're in the USA.

If you search this newsgroup at groups.google.com on extended warranty you'll find a lot of helpful stuff I've shared. Basically, the thing to know: Do not buy it directly from Subuaru of America--you'll pay way too much. Use a dealer as they get to set their own prices, and that Curry Subaru of Chicopee Massaschusetts still seems to be doing the most aggressive pricing on genuine SOA extended warranties. That warranty will be honored at your local subuaru dealer just fine.

Get the better of the two warranties. The lower one is little more than a poewrtrain warranty and is inclusionary (this list if all we cover) coverage. The better one is "exclusionary coverage" which means "we cover everything but this list of stuff."

It's a gamble/insurance for sure, but many people report their extended warranties paying off nicely for them. It really bils down to how long yer gonna keep the car, and how much service you think it might need. These items make Subaru a profit somehow, so obviously there's a gamble involved if your car doesn't have a problem.

I have a 100k plan. I'm at 75k and am only about 25% toward payback on it.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
Timo

Oh, you mentioned your impreza is preowned. Is it still in the bumper to bumper factory warranty? If not, i'm not sure you can still get the insurance.

The subuaru extended warranty plan is honored at all Subaru dealers, regardless of where the extended plan was purchased. Naturlaly, Subaru of America (corporate) markets them at the absolute highest price you'll find as they don't want to everundercut their dealers. So, it pays to shop dealer to dealer.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I, too, had a good warranty experience. Five years ago, when I bought a '95 Camry, I bought an extended warranty. A little while later, I began feeling like I had made a mistake...why would anyone buy an extended warranty on a Toyota, I thought. But I just tried not to dwell upon it. I figured I'd write it off as "piece of mind." About a year later, on New Year's Eve, I threw a rod. It was ugly. But because I had the warranty, I got a new engine. That engine would have cost more than the warranty cost me. I also had a few other minor issues that were covered, and this drove the total value higher.

I understand the idea of putting money in the bank as a hedge against car issues. However, I also believe that human nature--if not life necessities--will take over at some point. I can see how many people will look at that bank account, burgeoning with money, and think to themselves, "I'll just take a little loan from that and pay it back right away." Of course, we all know that "right away" turns into "soon," and "soon" turns into "some day." Then, before we know it, we have car problems AND no emergency fund.

I'm not going to sit here and insist that everyone should buy a warranty. I'm just saying that I had a good experience. So much so, that when I bought my Forester, I bought the extended warranty. Yes, I know Subaru's rep and I'll probably take a bath on it, but I feel more comfortable and, as a result, I feel better about my car ownership...particularly since my warranty covers the period of time that I've financed plus a little extra.

Reply to
John Falstaff