Forester head gasket leak (slight)

So far, this 2000 just emits a slight smell. No high temps, no apparent loss of fluid. I'd like to kill this dragon while it's little...

Some have suggested one of the chemical cures. At the local auto parts store I found a dozen candidates ranging in price from $6 to $60, and they all make the same claims. There are more online at even higher prices, and of course the claims are even more wonderful.

Apparently some dealers dispense something called RADWELD, but of course that's the one missing from the parts store, and the dealer is a long way off. And worse, I have no idea whether that's really the Right Stuff.

What works best?

Reply to
Lono

Bar's Leaks works best from what I've heard, I've not tried it myself though I need it. They say you must follow the directions exactly or you will toast the engine.

Tim Conway

The dealerships dispense a coolant additive. In fact, its required now. Some folks will say it's to prevent, not cure, a leak but, you could try it first.

That said, any 12 year old car could have a leak 'somewhere'. Have you confirmed it's from the HGs?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Is the smell a burnt antifreeze smell or a burnt oil smell?

If it is antifreeze, good luck.

At that age I would consider a valve cover leak first. Are the spark plug wells not flooded in oil?

Replacing valve cover gaskets is ease as long as you have the right length extensions for your ratchet, and maybe a small 1/4" drive ratchet and sockets.

There is a subbie dealer on ebay, that sells all the gaskets needed for the valve covers as a kit.

Good luck,

AS

L> So far, this 2000 just emits a slight smell. No high temps, no apparent

Reply to
AS

Yeah, the Radweld made by Holts in the UK supposedly is the stuff Soob dealerships sell/use.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The smell is antifreeze fumes.

I bought the "Conditioner" (Holt's) = $3 at the dealer! Drove 100 miles and the odor's gone, for now. Lucky.

But I'm ready to do valve cover gaskets or even a head gasket if that's what it eventually will take. Someone said the HG can be done without pulling the engine, but looking in there I doubt that it can be done by me that way. Hopefully the odor will stay gone for a while.

Thanks! Lono

Reply to
Lono

Glad that worked out. Hope it lasts. Be sure to use the 'conditioner' again if you change/flush the cooling system in the future.

I THINK I've read that you need to lift the engine an inch or 2 if you replace HGs in the car. The Forums (scoobymods, USMB, NASIOC, etc. will probably have some good inf/pictures if you decide to DIY that in the future.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan