Sticking brakes on f250

Hello! I was wondering if anybody here could give me a little advice?

Here's the deal. I bought this 1994 F-250 sight unseen in Seattle on e-bay. Wise? Time will tell. The seller didn't lie. But he isn't a mechanic either. So far, it's been fine after I did all the major maintenance chores (plugs, wires, o2 sensor, fluid changes, a bit of paint work, etc.....) I also traded my bro-in-law the camper for a set of American Racing Al wheels in exchange for the camper that was on it. An Arrow, I think.

Anyway. He knows a guy that owns a tire shop. So....we meet up there and get all the tires/wheels changed out. I keep all my tires. Front 2 are new Coopers.I split the bill ($100), and drive home.

I put my hand on the wheels (front) and they are hot! Very hot. Brakes? I'm also hearing a slight noise from the front left, kinda scraping sound. What gives? I research the wheels. They came off a 1992 Dodge 4X4 3/4 ton truck. The offset is the same. The size is the same. The bolt pattern is the same. But the center hole on the Al wheels are about 1/4" larger than the stock Ford ones which fit fine on his Dodge. This may be a factor (probably not) in this question. I'm wondering if I need a wheel expert now..........

Anyway, I pull off the left front wheel. The rotor will barely turn by hand. Right side is the same, but no noise. I take off the left front caliper, and find that the rotor looks good, the pads look new, I have no hint of heat damage. BUT, they were very tight. Very hard to take the calipers off even with them all the way pushed in. After they were off, the rotors spun freely. So, what gives? The truck had a brake job 10K ago. But also 4 years ago. I need a diagnosis.

Is the left rotor warped, thereby causing the noise I heard? Maybe amplified by removing the stock wheel and hubcap? I *did* hear a slight noise while driving back 1000 miles, but didn't smell any heat. I also feel a pulsation while driving at low speeds. I plan on replacing the fluid anyway, and doing what is required.

The caliper is back on now, the front is on jack stands. I'm wondering what is the best course of action......If I turn the rotors, to get more clearance (assuming it needs it to turn rather free) will that fix it? I suspect that all the parts are new, and maybe too tight? Or is there a valve somewhere that makes the front brakes too tight? Maybe a bind in the caliper? Re-build them? I've done a few brakes, but I've never seen a rotor this tight. You can turn it by hand, but barely. Remember, I drove this thing 1000 miles home with no (apparent) problems.

I'm sure there is a more seasoned hand at this than me, and would appreciate any suggestions.

MM^^

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:16:47 +0000, Mountain Mike^^ rearranged some electrons to form:

Replace the brake hoses. They may be going bad on the inside.

Reply to
David M
[snip]

Yep. Had the same problem on a Suburban I used to have..

Reply to
invalid unparseable