Forester XT: Any luck w. after market oil filters?

You need a 67 mm cap. This is a fairly standard size so you should be able to find one at most auto parts places. (Though the cheap one I picked up at walmart labled 67 mm was actually 66 mm and wouldn't work. The 67 mm from the auto parts store actually is 67 mm and fits.)

Reply to
Steve

I don't think that's an issue here. Most people responding to the thread are simply looking for the highest quality.

It's called a bypass (or relief) valve, and pretty much any filter spec'ed for a Subaru is going to contain one. Even the cheapie Wal-Mart filter (which is actually of fairly high quality). BTW - the company Champion Labs now has a different construction method for several of their filters. The media is heat sealed onto nylon endcaps, and the bypass valve is integrated as part of anti- drainback valve. I bought one for a Camry, and it was rather light, as they've taken away a certain amount of metal.

K&N will claim otherwise, but I no longer use their stuff.

Nothing from me. I haven't tried to touch one yet.

Reply to
y_p_w

But - the purolator PL 14612 is a smaller filter. It is the same diameter as the OEM filter (actually it is slightly smaller), it is only slightly longer than it. There seems to be alot of misinformation in this thread. You can see for yourself with pictures of aftermarket filters next to the OEM filter at the following link.

Rat

I don't think it was disinformation. Most of the posters to this thread have purchased large quantaties of the black OEM filter at discount, and for the most part haven't thought of using an aftermarket filter. The new part # for the PureOne may be fine, but I've got six more of the 15208AA080. At the price I paid for it, I don't see what benefit there would be for the PureOne.

Reply to
y_p_w