H6 recall

Yesterday I got a recall notice in the mail for my H6 Outback. It seems that the accelerator and/or cruise control cable can pop out of its
channel and cause enough binding in the cable so that the engine won't back down when the foot is lifted off the accelerator.
They say to immediately go to your local Subaru dealer where they will place a clip on the assembly to prevent this from happening. Now my wife is going on a trip starting on Sunday. Fat chance I will get this done today at a dealership.
Sooooo, I opened up the hood, found what I think is the channel they are talking about, and saftey wired the two cables so they can't pop loose.
Anyone else have this problem? Am I asking for trouble by doing the saftey wiring?
Al
--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

I haven't gotten a notice yet. I will check mine tomorrow, however, I don't think that what you did could hurt anything. I'll probably do the same. John

"John M." wrote...

I got the notice today. It also effects '02-'04 2.0L WRX's. I have an appointment for 9AM Monday morning and the dealer said I'll be out in under 1/2 hour. The dealer told my wife only several vehicles (world wide) have failed. -rick-
In spewed:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm dumbfounded that this is a mandatory recall item whereas the cold-weather fuel leak on early '02 WRXs isn't. Many more than "several" vehicles have the fuel leak.
So many folks seem nowadays to post complaints on the internet somewhere and never follow up by contacting NHTSA. They are the group (like it or not) that need to collect data to determine a trend worthy of recall. There was also a rash of folks complaining of fuel overflows when refueling. To me, any spilled fuel is a safety issue.
Carl 1 Lucky Texan
Ned Pike wrote:

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I just filled up my Forester this morning (with $2.089 a gallon premium -- up $.08 a gallon from when I filled up at the same store three days ago). My first indication that things weren't going as usual was when a fountain of fuel started gushing out of the fuel filler door. I reached down to manually shut off the nozzle, and found it was jammed in the "on" position! I suppose I should have hit the emergency stop button on the pump, but just wasn't thinking that clearly for some reason. About 2 or 3 seconds of fighting with the nozzle got it to shut off. First time anything like that's ever happened to me! If there's ever a next time, I'll try to memember the emergency pump shutoff.
The nice lady inside thanked me for bringing it to her attention and for not making too much of a stink (pun intended) about having just dumped very expensive gasoline all over my new car's paint.
- Greg
--
2001 Chevy Astro AWD (wife's)
2004 Subaru Forester Turbo 5-Speed

emergency
ever
not
Cool, where can I get some of that fuel? Will they have it at that price for a while or is a 1 day discount thing?
FWIW fuel here is around $1 / litre, which in your money is 75c / litre => $3 something a gallon.
Congrats on the bargin buying! :-)

In NY, on self service pumps, you can not set it to automatic. You must keep the grip squeezed. Now I know why

morning
at
fuel
it
for
Not anymore there are several pumps in my area that are self service and have the latch. There's also a sign that says its illegal to latch it open and walk away.

Here in Australia, a few years ago, we had latches on our bowser pump triggers..... but they automatically shut off the flow when it registered the tank was full, by the backflow of fuel up the nozzle, so you couldnt have a situation where someone walked away and pumped fuel all over the station floor!!!
However, I have not found a servo in the last 5 years or so who still has these nozzles... the latches are there, but they are all disconnected, so you cannot leave them pumping and walk away
Maybe they were prone to failing???
anon
null wrote:

Here in Canada the same is true, I think the set and forget latches illegal now. The auto shutoff frequently malfunctioned.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

I've seen it like that in the southeastern US states (latching handle still there, but "ratchet" plate removed)..I don't know if it's because they failed, or because people would "set and forget", and drive off with the nozzle inserted--because I'm sure the incidence of that happening has been greatly reduced.
Steve
:>
:>> Subject: Re: H6 recall
:>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru :>> :>> Here in Australia, a few years ago, we had latches on our bowser pump :>> triggers..... but they automatically shut off the flow when it :>> registered the tank was full, by the backflow of fuel up the nozzle, so :>> you couldnt have a situation where someone walked away and pumped fuel :>> all over the station floor!!! :>> :>> However, I have not found a servo in the last 5 years or so who still :>> has these nozzles... the latches are there, but they are all :>> disconnected, so you cannot leave them pumping and walk away :>> :>> Maybe they were prone to failing??? :>> :>> anon :>> :> :>Here in Canada the same is true, I think the set and forget latches :>illegal now. The auto shutoff frequently malfunctioned. :>--
Has the law changed recently (in Canada)? The Petro-Can station I regularly use had their pumps "updated". The new pumps have functional latches.
HarryS wrote:

It's available at the Marathon station in Alanson, MI. You might want to crunch some numbers to determine just how large a fuel tank you'll need to offset the cost of getting your car here and back home again.
Oh, and it's now up to $2.18 a gallon.
- Greg Reed
--
2001 Chevy Astro AWD (wife's)
2004 Subaru Forester Turbo 5-Speed
I got the notice yesterday... In my case for an '04 WRX. Seems it covers several models...
Interestingly enough, I think my car is actually affected. I've noticed a few times while driving, when shifting around 5k rpm, the revs would kind of hang at 5k for about 1-1.5 seconds before coming down.
It has been pretty subtle, just a little bit of stick, not locked open at WOT. Since this car is my first manual transmission, I thought it was just a result of me botching the clutch-in/throttle-out timing and revving the engine a bit. But when I got the recall notice it was like Oh Shit, maybe that wasn't just me, my car may actually have a sticky throttle.
I think I'll pop the hood and have a look myself.
Nick