Sticky Accelerator Pedal on 96 SL2

I have a 1996 SL2 that has a sticky gas pedal. It's not a huge problem, but it is very annoying since acceleration from a stop or a very low speed requires putting additional force on the accelerator pedal until it pops out of it's sticking position causing a nice jolt for everyone on board. I don't mind so much but passengers sometimes give me the "drive much?" look.

When the car was under warranty the dealership would fix the problem for free fairly quickly. They said they cleaned the EGR valve. Now it will cost me $50.00 each time. The problem is re-occuring and has to be done every 6-12 months.

Has anyone had similar problems or know how to resolve it?

snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com

Reply to
<pkillian2

Sounds more like the throttle body plate sticking in the housing. Remove the air inlet from the throttle body housing, spray some throttle body/carburator cleaner in and all around the butterfly plate. My '92 has never had this problem, but other cars I have owned would need a cleaning about once a year.

James

Reply to
James1549

Open the hood, and manually push on the the plastic wheel that thethrottle cable goes on, to simulate the cable pulling it open. You'll probbably FEEL it being sticky. If so:

1) Replace the PCV valve (it's easy, and only $3 to get a new one). 2) Go to a parts store and get a new throttle body to intake manifold gasket, and a few cans of throttle body cleaner (2 or 3). Get the throttle body stuff, not the cheaper carb stuff - TB cleaner really DOES work better.

I'm going by my '93 SC2, which is a 2 hamster motor, but I think by 96 the one hamster motor had MFI too, so it's probbably really close.

3) Remove the air duct, then unplug the two connectors to the throttle body, and the gas pedal cable. The last is easier than it looks - hold the cable so the gas pedal doesn't flop in when you open the throttle totally by hand - then take the cable, pull it so it's aiming down, and pull outward toward the cam cover - you'll see what I mean when you look at it. Oh yes, disconnect the three air hoses on top by popping off the clip and lifting them up - don't lose the clip or rubber block! 4) There's 2 10 mm bolts holding it on. Take them off - I like to clean/lube the bolts and holes while I'm there. 5) The throttle body will come off, too. Take the old gasket out. If you're a cheapskate like me, you can reuse it if you're careful. 6) Don't start spraying just yet. Instead, take out your Torx drivers and remove the IAC and TPS sensors - the screws are different sizes, BTW. I forget what size they are, but like T-20 or smaller. 7) Now, with those sensors out, start spraying away! Get all the passeages and crevices and all. You'll find that prior to this, your throttle boddy was 'sticky' when you moved things by hand. 8) Stop cleaning when it looks brand new. It'll look brand new when you're done, trust me. 9) With all the loose liquid blotted away and clean and dry, try working it. Not sticking anymore, right? 10) The manual says not to, but if you take off the IAC O-ring and spray carefull around the pintle, you can clean it off. 11) Re-install the two sensors. They go on more or less the way you found them - nothing critical on the alignment. 12) Look in the intake manifold. Ewww yucky! 13) Re install the TB, cables, and all, but don't put the duct on just yet. 14) Start the car, let it idle, then follow the can's directions for cleaning the TB with the car running - this'll clear out your intake a bit. 15) Put the duct back and all that.

When you remove the gas pedal cable, you'll note it's amazingly free moving. If not, just lube it up - it should move effortlessly and smoothly.

EGR valve? They blame everything on that these days, don't they? :)

What's happening, as you probbably noticed, is a lot of junk has 'built up' and made the throttle body mechanically sticky. Now that it's clean, check it every few months and give it just a spraying with the engine on, per can instructions, to help it stay clean. But a new PCV valve should at least theoretically help keep the junk from blowing like crazy (and you probbably needed one anyway).

And of course, the standard disclaimers about the gas pedal and floor mats, etc apply here - check the obvious first.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Good advice.

Removing the throttle body and giving it a thorough cleaning works wonders.

A few more thoughts:

1) Get a replacement throttle body gasket each time you do this. 2) Use an old tooth brush to help scrub stuff clean. 3) If you want to minimize the sticking, you can do the following: After the throttle body is clean, adjust the "idle speed" screw so that a fully closed throttle body rests on the screw and NOT on the closed butterfly valve within the throttle body.
Reply to
Kirk Kohnen