Hail damage

Hi everyone, with the current Liberty/Legacy having alluminium bonnet and hood, will this be more prone to hail damage than previous models without the alluminium. How strong is alluminium?

Reply to
Marky

I don't know if the newer models are any more rugged, but I can dent my '96 Impreza with a very stern look. :)

Reply to
Henry Paul

Henry Paul "Marky" wrote

How is a bonnet different than a hood?

"Alluminium." Harumph!

Reply to
P T

Repeat after me... :-)

1 hood = 1 bonnet 1 trunk = 1 boot 1 aluminium = 1 aluminum 1 gallon (imperial) = 1.201 gallons (US) 95 octane (ron) = 90 octane ((95ron+85mon)/2) 1 wop wop wop = 1 wop wop wop

Ian. (approx= John)

...whose Forester Turbo just had it's first service this morning, so I can now take it above 4000rpm, whoohoo :-)

Reply to
Ian Brown

Hahahahahaha :-)

Reply to
Henry Paul

Oops I meant boot.

Reply to
Marky

There are different grades of aluminum just like steel. I doubt that they're using anything strong, though. So yes it will dent eaiser & cost more to fix/replace. And...if you turn it in to your insurance co. your rates will go up. Dontcha' just love getting that extra gas mileage, though? ;^p ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Unfortunately, from 1st hand experience, I know that on U.S. Forester models the aluminum hood is more likely to dent than the roof, which is steel. Fortunately, a paintless dent repair person was able to smooth out the hood so that I can't see any dents in normal lighting. This was from pea to marble sized hail.

If you are caught driving in a hail storm, it would be a good time to find a parking lot with a large tree to get the nose of the car under.

A new OEM Subaru replacement hood runs about $300 U.S. but painting more than doubles the price since they have to paint the underside as well.

If you ever want to inspect a light colored car for minor dings, look at it under dim to medium bright flourescent lighting indoors. Bright sunshine hides most flaws. A cloudy day is not as good as flourescent light but better than bright sun.

Reply to
JWilliams

it under dim to medium bright flourescent lighting indoors. Bright sunshine hides most flaws. A cloudy day is not as good as flourescent light but better than bright sun.

******* Good advice. The trick is to get some straight-line objects reflecting off of the surface & move your head around to see the deflections. The floresent lights are *the* best way to do this. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Update: State Farm adjuster estimated the repair at ~$3850, in Minnesota.

My car is the dark green, and I think the dark colors show the damage worse. I guessed there were about 3 dozen dings on the hood, but when I actually tried to do a rough count, I was surprised to find somewhere around 80 distortions in the surface.

State Farm based the estimate on replacement of the hood and for the other numerous dings, a "Paintless Dent Repair" method (pushing out the dents, as opposed to sand, bondo, & paint.)

I'm going to see what the dealer will do for a trade on a new one (mine is

Reply to
P T

For anyone who cares to follow my story...

The dealer said they would give me about $15,000 if I traded the car in for a new one. IF I could find another at ~$20,100 I would have to ante ~5100 + license + sales tax on 5100 or about 5700, less the 3300 that insurance covers or a net to me of $2400 give or take, to get a new one.

I get a lot of interesting advice from friends: poorer ones say take the loot and don't fix the car. The ones who can afford a new car advocate fixing it. I want to get a new hood, which is the worst damaged part, but I'm loath to let them drop the headliner to pop out the dents on the roof. They all tell me they can put it back together good as new but I don't believe it. Also, at the Subaru dealer they said they may not be able to pop all the roof dents due to interference from structural members, so we're back to sand- bondo- paint repairs, which I really don't want. So I'm close to just a hood replacement, and the rest aren't nearly as noticeable, except for one big dent on the fender right in front of the driver. It distorts the crease of the fender, and they say they can't pop it, so it's bondo time, but I don't like the thought of bondo... Some suggest I try to find a hood at a junk yard. Probably a good suggestion compared to the ~$750 price from the dealer.

Reply to
P T