Help on Subaru AWD failing to engage

The All Wheel Drive on my 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan is failing to fully engage. Only one front wheel would spin when I tested on a hill in wet grass. When I jacked both wheels on one side off the ground, the rear would slowly turn, but I could stop it with my hands. The front wheel turned with full force. My Subrau dealer said that there has to be something that is not engaging. He said that there is a solenoid that might have failed. It is also possible that a wire could have come off somewhere. From reading other post, I assume that AWD is running in the 90% front and 10% rear mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look before I have to take to into the shop. The location of the solenoid might also help.

Thanks Don Hazle

Reply to
Donald Hazle

The AWD (and other 4WD) system transfers torque between the front and rear wheels (not from left to right). Transfer of torque from the side to side depends on if there is a limited slip differential, typically only installed in the rear.

If one front wheel looses traction it is the one which will spin while no torque will be applied to the wheel still on the ground. If one rear wheel looses traction, the limited-slip differential (if installed), will transfer torque to the rear wheel with traction.

Even with All Wheel Drive you will get stuck if only one front wheel has traction and the other three are on ice.

I got stuck in a 1970 Blazer where one front wheel and one rear wheel were spinning in mud (no limited-slip differential in rear) and the wheels on the other side of the truck were on dry pavement - even with the transfer case in 4LO locking front and rear drive shafts.

Did you get stuck in the grass or did the rear wheels push?

I hope you didn't do anything which would risk bodily injury like jacking up one side with the car running and in gear?

My guess is unless you got stuck, the AWD is working fine and what you observed is typical of may AWD/4WD vehicles.

I would do more research as it sounds like the dealer does not know how the system works. Try a Service Tech and not a salesman. If in doubt I am sure they would be willing to have you part with some money for a diagnostic check.

Jeff

2003 OBW 1996 Explorer 1970 Chevy Blazer (RIP)

Reply to
Jeff

is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

You are incorrect, Sir. If it is an automatic trans model and the AWD is working properly AND it does not have a limited slip diff in the front or rear, worst case, one front and one rear will spin simultaneously (assuming the transfer clutch is functional) The situation you are describng refers to a vehicle with an open center diff. The manual trans models have an open center diff with a viscous limited slip device. If the LSD is not working than worst case, one front OR one rear will spin. It sounds like it is an automatic model with a failed transfer clutch.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Ken,

It is an automatic. I also fogot one detail. When I inserted a 15amp fuse in the FWD socket (which in effect locks out the rear drive so the car can be towed), the fuse blew after I stated the car.

Don Hazle

Reply to
Donald Hazle