Help- Power steering fluid mixed with gas

Yeah, I know that sounds really dumb. But I somehow managed to do that. Poured half a bottle(~8oz) of power steering fluid in the fuel tank (10 gallons) of my 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Is that a potentially dangerous thing for the engine? What could be a possible way out of this?

Please help...

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe

In my estimation there is nothing that can help you recover the lost fluid! :)))

I think that steering fluid is harmless to the engine (?). After all its just light oil, and may even help with upper cylinder lubrication. If this happened to me I would just top-off the fuel tank to dilute the solution, and maybe add some more gas after 1/4 of tank is empty, to further dilute the stuff. 8oz is a very small amount.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Probably not bad for your engine, might make it smoke a bit...

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Probably no harm at all. I'd keep the gas tank topped up for a couple weeks to try to dilute it as much as possible.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Knowing now that this isn't going to cost you an engine, only some light embarassment, how did the steering fluid end up in the gas tank? :-)

And by the way, siphoning out ten gallons of gas wouldn't be too hard...if it was necessary.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

I bet he probably went to put in some engine cleaner type stuff in, but mixed up the bottles and dumped power steering fluid in... I can totally see myself doing something like that too hehe

JohnO wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Hi,

Drive it out. Top off the tank, and then re-top it as others have said to dilute it quickly. Longer, high speed freeway type trips will not only get it used up quickly, but will help burn it as cleanly as possible since they keep the engine and the cats up to optimal operating temps. Years ago, more than a few people used ATF (same or almost same thing as power steering fluid depending on the car/system) as a top cylinder lube. Your concentration's possibly a bit high for now, but that won't last as you top up a time or two.

After you've run 10-15 gal thru the tank, you might want to follow up with a bottle of Techron or fuel injector cleaner to remove any residue.

Then you can tell us how the "oops!" happened! (I'm sure most of us have a "story from the dark side" in our automotive pasts!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks a bunch guys. That was really helpful.

And Dmitriy's guess was spot on. Yeah, I had the fuel injector cleaner and power steering fluid bottles mixed up.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe