Stuck driver-side front axle

I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy L 4x4 wagon with a driver-side outer cvboot ripped in half. Noticed it after some thumping sounds in that wheel well showed up. Gonna replace the axle but I can't get the splined end out of the steering knuckle/hub! I have done everything to it, the latest being anchoring a beefy hub puller to the lug bolts that has a push rod pressing on the end of the axle sticking out through the hub. I crank as tightly as I possibly can on that push rod, then hit the end of it with a mallet with all my strength, all the while prepping with penetrating oil and heat from my propane torch. What the heck?? From what I read, the spline should NOT be stuck in there that hard. I have looked behind the steering knuckle a thousand times for some sort of retaining pin or something that's holding it in. Nothing. Following the Haynes manual to a T. Any ideas anyone? Anyone had the same problem? Anyone just wanna gripe at stuff that is way too stuck? I'm all ears. Thanks!

Carl

Reply to
heycosmo

Edward Hayes

Reply to
heycosmo

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
BARRY DONOVAN

I know you removed the inboard roll pin but have you also then disconnected the axle from the differential? Plan on also replacing the wheel bearing because it almost surely has seized onto the axle. Once you have removed the axle you will see the only thing preventing the axle from comng out has to be the bearing.

Reply to
johninKY

I use a air hammer and a pointy tip. Put it in the dimple in the center and vibrate it out. Only once did I have to remove one to a press

Reply to
Stephen H