Initial oil change

I have searched and read this forum about oil change intervals, type and weight, particularly for the initial change. I see many different ideas and opinions on this subject. Could I possibly get a final, comprehensive and knowledgeable guideline as to the type of oil to use. Dino vs. synthetic, the interval for the initial oil change (My 04 OBW now has 1300 miles) and the like? It would truly be appreciated. I'm thinking of using synthetic but have not decided fully.

Thanks all,

Reply to
coustanis

All you will get is a multitude of opinions.

All name-brand oil is good. If you just follow the owner's manual you'll probably never see an oil-related failure.

My opinion is that Mobil1 10W30 is best.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

NO!

As long as there are two car owners and two kinds of oil available, you're gonna have a "discussion" of what's better, when to change, etc.

The mfrs have pretty well settled it for you: get out the owners manual, find their recommendation for "severe" service and follow it. If you look, you'll find that IF you EVER drive your car, you're probably doing SOME of the things that define "severe."

As Jim mentioned, and I did, too, in another post on oil, you're not getting anything appreciable with one brand over another in the same type (dino or synthetic.) You may or may not see any appreciable results from using synthetic (I never did, but YMMV.) We all have our favorites, for whatever reason.

So pick your oil based on service level (API Sx in the US or other designations depending on where you are) and viscosity, change regularly at the "severe" recommendation from your book, and drive happy.

Blonde or brunette? Castrol or Pennzoil? Ginger or Mary Ann? Dino or synthetic? Shaken or stirred? Some questions just aren't going to be answered.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Mary Ann.

Reply to
Ragnar

Mary Ann.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jeanie

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

Syb blend or synthetic but let the engine break in for 5-10k miles. Until then use name brand dino

I like to cahnge the initial oil at 1000-1500 just to be on the safe side/ It may not help anything but probably wont hurt either. Then change every 4-5000 miles and you should have a long living happy engine

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

mary ann

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

oh yeah

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

Mary Ann

Reply to
JW

All four of them.

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

I have to say that this answer has to be one of the most obvious, sensible, honest and also funniest responses to ANY question EVER posted on ANY forum about ANY topic!!!!

Good on ya Rick

spinifex (Australia)

92 Liberty (Legacy)RS Turbo AWD Sedan Manual 2.0T 85 Leone FWD Sedan Manual 1.8 01 Liberty AWD Wagon Manual 2.0

Rick Courtright wrote:

Reply to
anon

For the first change, use dino oil not synthetic.Synthetic is too much great and the mecanics don't be used ("grinding").

Marc

(Excuse my very bad english !)

"coustanis" a écrit dans le message de news:milAc.1137$ snipped-for-privacy@chiapp18.algx.net...

Reply to
Angler

LRRPs or MREs?

Reply to
CompUser

Mary Ann

Reply to
Hallraker

Hmm, I only count three. Must be new math.

Reply to
Mike

What about Mrs. Howell? No takers?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Coustanis:

From experience regular oil has worked for me like a charm. I change my oil every 3000 miles, use regular 10w30 oil, ACTUALLY NAPA oil not some fancy brand oil, and so far my 1993 subaru impreza 1.8L has 287,000!!! miles on it. NO, ABSOLUTELY NO engine problems. For everyday normal driving, mix of city and highway, regular oil will work. Synthetic may look better on paper and in tests and what not but hey these engines are designed in mind to last with regular oil. Hope this answers.

Paul J

Reply to
Paul J

Lana or Chloe? Betty or Veronica? Wilma or Betty? Catherine or Renee? We all have preferences.

Reply to
Rajp

Foxy Brown.

Reply to