Infinity G35-Oil and Change interval

Hi All,

Looking at the 2005 - 06 G35's. Do they 'require' synthetic oil, or is dino ok? Also, what is the recommended change interval for severe service?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Shep

But I haven't bought the car yet so I don't have an owner's manual! Didn't find an owner's manual on the inifinti web site. Called dealer, but I'd like a current owner to verify info - I've had dealer put the wrong oil in my car before, so I don't trust them.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

packages to choose from: 15,000 miles and 30,000 miles. If you're asking which SAE or which brand or whatever to match the service catagory, then a quality synthetic will meet it I'm sure, but if I had the G35, I'd just use a non-synthetic for the first 500 or so miles and take it easy. Forget about doing severe driving until you've got quality synthetic. Don't forget, it's got a tranny that needs good oil as well.

Reply to
rudyxhiebert

Well the Owner's Guide is on the Infiniti web site (at least for the 2005). See

. The followingis from the owner's guide:

ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER RECOMMENDATION Selecting the correct oil It is essential to choose the correct quality, and viscosity oil to ensure satisfactory engine life and performance. INFINITI recommends the use of a low friction oil (energy conserving oil) in order to improve fuel economy and conserve energy. Oils which do not have the specified quality label should not be used as they could cause engine damage. Only those engine oils with the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification mark on the front of the container should be used. This type of oil supersedes the existing API SG, SH, or SJ and Energy Conserving I & II categories. If you cannot find engine oil with the API certification mark, use an API grade SG/SH, Energy Conserving I & II or API grade SJ or SL, Energy conserving oil. An oil with a single designation SG or SH, or in combination with other categories (for example, SG/CC or SG/CD) may also be used if one with the API certification mark cannot be found. An ILSAC grade GF-I, GF-II, GF-III oil can also be used. INFINITI recommends mineral based oils. These oils must however, meet the API quality and SAE viscosity ratings specified for your vehicle.

Oil additives

INFINITI does not recommend the use of oil additives. The use of an oil additive is not necessary when the proper oil type is used and maintenance intervals are followed. Oil which may contain foreign matter or has been previously used should not be used.

Oil viscosity

The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important that the engine oil viscosity be selected based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. The recommended SAE viscosity number chart shows the recommended oil viscosities for the expected ambient temperatures. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage.

Selecting the correct oil filter

Your new vehicle is equipped with a high quality genuine NISSAN oil filter. When replacing, use the genuine oil filter or its equivalent for the reason described in change intervals.

Change intervals

The oil and oil filter change intervals for your engine are based on the use of the specified quality oils and filters. Oil and filter other than the specified quality, or oil and filter change intervals longer than recommended could reduce engine life. Damage to engines caused by improper maintenance or use of incorrect oil and filter quality and/or viscosity is not covered by the new INFINITI vehicle warranties. Your engine was filled with a high quality engine oil when it was built. You do not have to change the oil before the first recommended change interval. Oil and filter change intervals depend upon how you use your vehicle. Operation under the following conditions may require more frequent oil and filter changes.

- repeated short distance driving at cold outside temperatures,

- driving in dusty conditions,

- extensive idling,

- towing a trailer,

- stop and go "rush hour" traffic.

- aggressive driving

RECOMMENDED SAE VISCOSITY NUMBER

[Chart ommitted]

SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all ambient temperatures. SAE

10W-30, 10W-40 viscosity oil may be used if the ambient temperature is above 0°F (?18°C). .....

ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION:

- API Certification Mark

- API grade SG/SH, Energy Conserving I & II or API grade SJ or SL, Energy Conserving

- ILSAC grade GF-I, GF-II & GF-III

- SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all ambient temperatures. SAE10W-30 viscosity oil may be used for ambient temperatures above 0°F (?18°C).

-------------------------------------

The maintenance schedule is online as well. From (

)

------------------------------------

Preventative scheduled maintenance is an important investment to optimize the performance, reliability, safety and resale value of your Infiniti. Scheduling your vehicle's maintenance at the recommended intervals will ensure your vehicle is running at its best.

Depending on your driving habits and local conditions, you should follow one of the three maintenance schedules listed below. Use these guidelines to determine which maintenance schedule to use:

Premium Maintenance (Every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first)

Premium Maintenance is an Infiniti recommended option that was developed for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance. With this schedule more maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with the other schedules.

Schedule 1 (Every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first)

This schedule offers the same service intervals as the Premium Maintenance; however, with this schedule there are fewer items regularly checked or replaced.

Schedule 2 (Every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first)

This schedule offers the least frequent service intervals; with even fewer items regularly checked or replaced.

The net is, you don't need synthetic oil. Good quality API Certified Energy Conserving Motor Oil rated SG (an old rating) or better is all you need. Depending on your driving conditions it needs to be changed at either 3750 or 7500 miles. Personally, I would use anything less than API Certified SL oil.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I meant to say " I would NOT use anything less than API Certified SL oil."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thank you Ed. Sorry I didn't find the manual on the web site - thanks much for attaching it to your message above.

My reason for asking this is probably strange - ever since BMW (I have a 97 328, that is just fabulous) went to double vanos they've required synthetic oil. I'm guessing that it is because some high shear forces are involved in making that thing continuously adjustable. Don't like that. My single step vanos with the correct dino oil just works so beautifully that I cannot even tell when it changes - while I've seen apparent problems with the double vanos over in the BMW group. Maybe it's all in my head - I dunno.

Anyway, I've had two Nissans, still have my 90 Pathfinder - love their engines, so by my 'strange' criteria looks like I'll be happy with the new 3.5.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Interesting that Infinity recommends 'mineral based oils'. I doubt that this is meant to exclude synthetics, but one might get that impression.

Reply to
<HLS

Vegetable oils like canola are right out. And as far as animal oils go, lard is for pie crusts and not engines.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Don't try to butter me up, Scott..;>)