More on Grounding Mods

Hey, all.

So after the 'uncertain' results of the grounding mod I did to my 02 WRX, I've been doing some research on the topic of grounding.

I see various kits available (on eBay, for example), which appear to consist of a 'hub', which mounts to the negative battery terminal, and a bunch of leads that go to various locations - engine mount, headlamp, etc.

an example is Ebay item # 150026923746.

The ads basically suggests that these things will cure all ills, and even make toast for you.

I did read an independent review on one of these kits, used on an STI. The reviewer did not claim to notice any improvement in power or smoothness in acceleration - but the review was very specific to say that this change, and this change alone, resulted in significantly better gas mileage.

I'm still not convinced that this is anything but nicely presented voodoo, but am curious if anyone out there has invested in (or created) a kit similar to this and gotten positive results.

It's been about 5 days since my 'bodged' ground mod (negative terminal to passenger side strut bolt and negative terminal to passenger side intake manifold), and it still feels pretty good.

Thanks!!

BD

Reply to
BD

MO is: that if your remove, sandpaper and just cleanup the originals connections that is all that is needed.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Probably a worthwhile exercise. I've read various reports of people finding their grounding wires being mounted over paint.

I downloaded PDF copies of the full maintenance manual for the car. Presumably the grounding points are all indicated in there somewhere... ;)

Thanks!

Reply to
BD

I didn't find a consolidated listing of ground locations in the WRX manual, I'd love someone to prove me wrong on that one.

Ed's on track---on my MY04 WRX, the grounds below and inboard of each headlamp housing were fitted with a flat washer under each ring terminal, installed over intact paint. I went over every gnd point I could find, clearing to bare metal under the terminal stack, and adding star washers. I used No-Alox as a corrosion inhibitor initially, and changed later to silicone grease after seeing No-Alox wash out. I supplemented a few 12 ga ground lines to various locations, also. I can't say what caused it, but the brightness of the low beam headlights was noticeably better after all was done...and that was a result that I wasn't expecting!

Reply to
CompUser