OBD II - Monitors still not ready

My 2004 WRX was rear-ended back in November, and just got out of the shop on Saturday (over 40 days). While it was in there, the inspection and emissions expired. I took the car in yesterday and they weren't able to perform the emissions test because the Catalyst and Evaporative System were still "Not Ready".

I read up on the Virginia DEQ Website

about monitor statusand the various monitors, and I understand the monitors were all resetwhen the car was in the body shop and the battery was disconnected, butI had driven the car for three days, over 60 miles, and as fast as80MPH and those monitors still hadn't come on yet. Does any one haveany idea what conditions will get those monitors to tag "Ready"? Do Ineed to have driven 100 miles? Driving continuously over an hour? Ihave to qualify for my emissions in the next five days in order to getmy registration renewed by the end of the month and I'm starting toworry.

Thanks

Reply to
fooguy

"fooguy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The best I've been able to get out of mechanics on this is that there are certain speeds that need to be driven for a fixed amount of time without touching the brake pedal. For example, 10 minutes at 35 mph, 10 minutes at 45 mph etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a formula that would guarantee success. All I can suggest is to head out onto a highway near you with no traffic lights, stop signs or cross traffic and drive in a normal manner at varying speeds for about an hour using minimal braking and see if that does it.

Good luck.

- Snuffy -

Reply to
Mike Bender

The problem is that the conditions for these tests (or Monitors) is unique to vehicles. You might be able to find out in a factory service monitor what kind of condition (or Trip in OBDII) is required for a Monitor to run. Once you found out what the conditions where, you could attempt to simulate them on the road. If you hooked up an OBDII tool, many can tell you the status of the Monitors so that you were sure you had triggered them and that they completed.

Reply to
Dino