Will not pass Smog test after new battery

I had just replaced my battery in a 2003 Elantra...everything went well until I brought it in for a Smog test inspection in Nevada. It did not pass stating that the following monitors were not ready Fuel System Catalyst Oxygen sensor heater The technician said that the changing of the battery cause the computer to lose the info and had to be driven 50 -60 miles before testing again. I drove it 100 miles and it failed again with the same notice "not ready". I called the Hyundai dealer....he said you might have to drive it 500 miles for it to be ready. Is this true or a story? BTW, I had to pay for the 2 inspections. Thanks for any info. Merry Christmas

Reply to
John Pal

Its all true except maybe the mileage estimate. My belief is that its not actually the number of miles, but the number of drive cycles that turn these things on and off. I haven't seen in print how many it takes, but I have read where in some cases it may take as many as 40. A drive cycle is generally defined as from completely cold to completely hot with some various speeds (including hwy) in between. If its any consolation you are one of many to be caught in this dilemma.

Reply to
Partner

Partner's pretty much correct. While it's not drive cycles, per se, there are individual criteria that need to be met for each test. Unfortunately, Hyundai doesn't publish which parts of the readiness cycle are necessary for each test.

Here's my take on your specific case:

Fuel system: This isn't generally a specific test. I suspect they're referring to the evaporative emissions leakage test. On older models, this test would only run when idling for 30 seconds or more. Your dealer can command this test to run.

Oxygen sensor heater: This test usually runs fairly quickly after startup. Since you don't mention oxygen sensor performance, I suspect this is the test that actually hasn't run. In fact, the performance test cannot run until the heater test has run and passed. Often the car must be driven at constant highway speed (50 - 60 MPH) for several miles for this test to run.

Catalyst: This test cannot run until the oxygen sensor test completes, since it depends on oxygen sensor data to determine catalyst condition. In fact, this is probably the most difficult test to cause to run on your car. This test will require several miles of steady speed highway driving after the oxygen sensor test has completed.

You can purchase (not sure of price or whether it's worth it) a code-reader which will also report the status of the readiness tests. That way you'll know before you take the car in (and pay the fee) whether it'll pass.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for all the info....I plan to run it for a week or so and try it at the dealer this time :-(

Reply to
John Pal

I am having a similar problem. I just moved to NY where they check the OBD for emissions testing. I registered my car, 2000 Sonata GLS, and had 10 days to get the inspection done. Two days before my appointment the MIL comes on right at start up . I drove home and had it read the next day. P0705, P1154, and P0153. Clear the codes and drive about 100 miles with no MIL before the inspection. At the inspection they tell me its not ready and to drive it some more. After another 200 miles and still not being ready, I started digging in. At idle in my garage for 1 hour and it never went into Closed Loop. I was using a generic reader and found online that there is a Hyundai specific code for not going closed loop, so I couldn't see that, but it didn't light the MIL. I noticed the B2S1 sensor didn't look like it was going high enough so I replaced that with a Bosch from NAPA. Now the car goes into closed loop right away but after another 200 miles it still won't run the O2 sensor test. The EVAP, Heated O2, misfire, fuel system, and comprehensive are all ready, the MIL is off and there are no generic codes showing. CAT of course hasn't run yet. Could there be a pending code stuck in there related to the Open Loop condition I was running in that didn't light the MIL but is preventing the O2 test from running? Both upstream O2 sensors now switch between 0.1 and 0.9V however, for whatever amount of time the scanner screenshot is, the Bosch will cycle 4 times and the other upstream sensor 7 times. Is this a problem that they aren't the same? I'm not sure how accurate the waveform is in the program but the rise and fall times look similar, the Bosch just stays high and low longer. I did have both sensors replaced and the reprogramming done back in 03.

I'm assuming I may need to replace the transmission range sensor switch in the near future but didn't think it relates to the O2 sensor problem and the MIL hasn't come back on yet so I'm not worrying about it for now.

Reply to
danestock