Oil in Plug Holes

I recently changed the spark plugs in my 04 Impreza 2.5 TS Wagon. On two of the plugs (not on the same side, actually diagonally opposite) there was a fair amount of oil in the hole where the plug connector goes into the engine. The plugs that I removed were fine, no sign of fouling, and no oil on the threads. The car has approx 95,000 miles.

Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, this means?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Larry Weil

There's a gasket between the valve cover and the tube that leads to the plug galley. Spark plug galley gasket or something similiar. They tend to get crushed or deform, which allows oil into the spark plug galley.

Sounds like you caught it early. The only time I've seen them fail was on a

99 2.5RS with about 60k miles.
Reply to
ujduche

Welcome to my hell.

I'd had rough running in acceleration around 4000RPM that eventually got bad enough to trigger a misfire code and check engine light, found the dreaded oil on plug hole in the cylinder that threw the code, diagnoses as leaking seals (either valve cover gasket or other), then the question became "why's it doin that?" and discovered a failing/blocking catalytic converter and (doh) the dreaded 2.5L head gasket with a small breach.

$1800 at an independent and it's fixed though. Rebuilt heads with all new seals, new head gasket, new cat.

Others have reported discovering oil and don't yet have any ill effects though. You still under any warranty perchance? How's your coolant usage? If it's used any coolant at all, get into the dealer pronto and inquire as to why your car seems to be using cooland.

100k is only 5k away, and that's when they start scrutinizing head gasket jobs a little more, I think.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

snipped-for-privacy@null.void wrote in news:6008a$46886524$453dbaeb$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

Do I need to get this fixed? How big of a job is this? At this point, I'll bring it to the dealer or a repair shop,as changing plugs is about the limit of where I'm comfortable working myself.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Larry Weil

snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com:

So far, no coolant use. Fingers crossed! :-)

Reply to
Larry Weil

I have a 2003 OBS and at about 100k kms I decided to try changing the plugs myself. Found a little oil on both driver's side boots, but no issues otherwise. Decided to wait. Now at 145k. Last time I looked the boots were dry. Not sure what to think of this.

Had some hesitation issues for a short period of time, but the dealer greased the spark plug wire connections and it went away.

I was gonna wait for the timing belt change and get the valve cover gaskets done then, but the dealer says it won't save me anything. I think I'm gonna wait and let them change the plugs next time around and see if they try to sell me new valve cover gaskets.

Not sure what to suggest.

Reply to
Chicobiker