Outback 'whistles' at higher RPMs

My 2001 outback (45k miles) makes a whistle sound at about 3700+ RPMs. I only get this when passing on the interstate or on hills. Passengers have describing the sound as coming from the rear of the car, which points to the exhaust. However alternative theories are that the fuel system is making the noise.

Does anyone else have this high-rpm whistle?

PS - I have seen reference to this problem before but it was always diagnosed as an exhaust issue. However, since so many people have seen it, I am wondering if the problem is more mundane.

Reply to
Matt Fischer

Edward Hayes

Ed,

I checked this and everything seems sealed tight. Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Matt Fischer

Is it always above a certain MPH?

Could it be your rack on top of the car?

Reply to
Bryce

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes. These are airfoils. In fact, I've heard that if you go fast enough, your car actually loses weight because of the lift produced. :-)

Reply to
Bryce